Scuba and Dental Work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've just gotten a tooth removed and will soon be getting a dental implant. Does anyone dive with an implant, and have any problems ever occurred?

I've read about tooth squeezes and such and havent had any problems with my one filling, but I was just wondering if the implant will cause any trouble.

Unfortunately, I have had a lot of dental work and can verify that properly done crowns, implants, and fillings are not a problem in scuba.

I've done about 600 dives on my oldest crowns without problems, and about 150 dives with my two implants.

I started a thread asking the same questions about braces and other ortho work. Everyone that responded said no worries.

Get one tooth removed and braces on Fri afternoon. Sun morn dive will tell the tale.

I've got way too much dental work done and have never had a problem diving. That said, I do have one tooth that has a crown, but my dentist thinks it the tooth might also be cracked below the surface of the gum... so when I travel I do take antibotic with me in case it flares, but it's nothing to do with the diving according to my dentist, hope that made sense!

I have two implants. A drunk driver pulled out in front of my mother and me when I was a child and we both went through the windshield, it was before child seats and belts ya know. I have never had an issue with them in terms of diving, other issues but not that issue. I figure you will likely be OK.

Since it is my front teeth, the regulator bears on them and it hurts, it can hurt a lot and give me headaches. I therefore much prefer double hose regulators because the mouthpiece floats and does not pry down on my teeth. I could probably use one of those orthodonic pieces and then I could use a single hose without pain but then I would not have an excuse for being odd.

N

Awesome guys, thanks for the replies.

I have full dentures and have no problems except my gums get a little sore if I subconciously bite down on the mouthpiece. I try to not do that but I find mvself forgetting sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom