Scuba book suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Undersea Treasures, published by the National Geographic Society in 1974, has some good stuff on wreck diving, particularly in the northeast US.

Beyond Sportdiving by Brad Sheard, (published in the early '90's?) is a good read on diving the deeper wrecks in the New York/New Jersey area.

I've also always been partial to Andrea Doria: Dive to an Era by Gary Gentile as it covered most of the diving on the wreck from the day after it sank to recovery of the stern bell in 1984.

All are out of print but pop up in used book stores and online from time to time.

If you are interested in a short, but interesting, fiction book, I've got a recommendation for you...:popcorn:

This one is written by an avid diver and former scuba shop owner (over 30 years in the business) and is called The Stela Passageway, by Carol Kender.

This is available through Publish America and Amazon.com

In addition, Carol is a ScubaBoard member, so why not support one of our own?? :wink:

(you can check out her website, if you like, at Welcome to my Web site

Diver Down is an awesome book. My poor Rescue class heard probably every story in there when I was going over problems and my DM candidates know the story by heart about the diver who was almost drowned by the DM with bad rescue skills.

I just read "Shark" by Phillip and Jacque Cousteau. It was written in the early 70s, I think, and interesting to see their thoughts on sharks and the environment.

At one point, they said it was unlikely that humans would make much a dent in the shark population...

Times have changed, huh? But it was a great read!

Here is some of my growing library:

Fun Reads
1. Decent into Darkness by Edward Raymer
2. Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
3. The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury
4. Deep Descent by Kevin F. McMurray
5. Beyond the Deep: by William Stone
6. Cavers Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley
7. The Cave Divers by Robert Burgess. It's an often harrowing account of the history of Cave Diving and depicts some of the most extreme dives ever made.
8. The Darkness Beckons by Martin Farr (a history of cave diving)
9. Neutral Buoyancy
10. Water and Light by William Harrigan
11. The Helldivers Rodeo by Humberto Fontova About offshore oil platform divers
12. Fatal Depth by Joe Haberstroh
13. Bluewater Gold Rush by Tom Kendrick

FYI: The darkness Beckons, Beyond the Deep, The Cave Divers, Cavers Measureless to Man are available from the National Speleological Society. Check their website at The National Speleological Society

Info
1. Diver Down by Michael R. Ange
2. The Oxygen Hacker's Companion by Bance Harlow
3. SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR Vance Harlow's
SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow repair book
4. SCUBA Regulator Savvy by Pete Wolfinger Peterbuilts
http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html
5. Stuff on the Internet

Instructional
1. DIR Fundamentals Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving
2. NSS Cave Diving Manual
3. Complete Wreck Diving: A Guide to Diving Wrecks" by Henry Keatts
4. Encyclopedia of Recreational diving
5. Basic Cave Diving: A Blueprint for Survival
6. Scuba diver’s sign language manual by James Smith [DAN]
7. Hand Signals for SCUBA diving BY NACD
Books at NACD Online Store
8. Cave Diving Communications by Joe Prosser [NSS] NSS Bookstore
9. Some PADI books
10. Some TDI & SDI books

I also have some Audubon fish ID books. Diving is my passion and I am always seeking to learn more. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom