scuba books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i promise i searched before asking. if there is a thread for this, just directing me to it would be great!

what scuba books (besides basic ow texts) has anyone enjoyed? in particular, realistic fiction, general travel like '50 best cheapest dive spots in the whole entire world where they also give away gin', slightly more advanced non-fiction but not too techy for a newbie, or even non-fiction more on the 'etiquette & protocol' side rather than the '1) look good and 2) remember to breathe'.

thanks!

First of all
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is amazing!!!
Really great book for the diver or the non-diver.
And it's all true>

Neutral Buoyancy is nice
Down Time is also good.

I was wondering the same thing and also looking for tips..

Roadale's Scuba Diving publishes a little book, whose name i am forgetting. I liked it a lot when I was newly certified. It has tips and tecniques for everything from the perfect giant stride to miscoceptions about sharks...

some of my favorites:

The Silent World, by Jacques Cousteau
The Last Dive, Bernie Chowdhury
Shadow Divers, Robert Kurson
Deep Descent, Kevin F. McMurray (avoid Dark Descent... it's not worth it imho)
The Cave Divers, Robert F. Burgess

also, Down Time, a great collection of essays by divers.

and if you can afford it:

NOAA Diving Manual, 4th Edition

I concur...the books mentioned so far are great! Shadow Divers is in line for a second reading this summer it was so good!

I like Clive Cussler's books. The Dirk Pitt stories are pretty good. I've only read the first Sea Hunters book & enjoyed it. I read a lot of history books centered around U-Boats and subs in general, primarily because I want to dive them someday.

In no particular order:

Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World by Tim Ecott

Blue Meridian: The Search for the Great White Shark (Penguin Nature Classics Series) by Peter Matthiessen - an absolute classic.

Water and Light: A Diver's Journey to a Coral Reef (Southwestern Writers Collection Series) by Stephen Harrigan

Homo Delphinus, The Dolphin Within Man by Jacques Mayol - mostly about free diving

Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent Into the World's Most Treacherous Cave
by Bill Stone, Barbara Am Ende and Monte Paulsen - not strictly a diving book and not very well written; nevertheless very interesting, especially with regards to the use of Bill Stone's Cis-Lunar CCR.

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley

Under Antarctic Ice: The Photographs of Norbert Wu by Jim Mastro and Norbert Wu

Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski

i've written them all down. now to find some. i'm hoping the local university will have a few, since they do have an underwater archaeology degree. otherwise, anyone feel the need to give me a gift from my b&n wishlist? :wink: or maybe santa will have forgotten all about things by christmas...

Back
Top Bottom