Scuba Diving In Cairns - October 16'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

We're a couple arriving in Cairns beginning of October. We'll have 5-7 days for scuba diving. I'm an advanced open water diver and my partner is just open water.

Would like to hear your ideas about scuba diving in this time of season. Base camp doesn't have to be cairns for the liveaboard.
What are the most impressionable sites that are available in this time of season in the GBR?

I did a Outer Reef live aboard for 5 nights and I did the Ribbon Reef live aboard for 3 or 4 nights. I highly recommend you do the Ribbon Reef tour if it fits into your budget. The reef's were so much better. The marine life was a lot more vast and the experience was a true live aboard experience compared to the Outer reef experiences. I am only a Open Water and I never felt restricted. You have the option of going with a guide (Ribbon Reef its included Outer Reef its extra per dive) I met someone who was an Advanced diver and we buddied up and never used a guide.

I wrote a blog post about Steves Bommie it is the most memorable dive site besides Osprey Reef. That is on the Ribbon Reef trip. The Outter reef trip was good and definitely something I would recommend BUT if you are a serious diver and have the money then the Ribbon Reef trip is far superior. These trips are out of Cairns.

I did my trips in late November.

If you are going to Byron Bay its a really neat dive site. Lots of sharks and bigger animals and really close to shore. 5 minute boat ride.

Get on either Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball for a 4 or 7 night liveaboard that goes out to Osprey Reef.

Osprey has (in my not so humble opinion) the best diving in the region :)

There are many posts along the same lines if you hunt around. Overnight trips as advised above are the best options.

If you have the time and budget do like WetPup suggested and look at Ribbon Reef trips (Monday and Thursday departures on Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom). These book up months in advance so don't leave it to late.

If not then look at Outer Reef trips (3 day 2 night or 2 days 1 night). Ocean Quest, Scubapro or Kangaroo Explorer.

@Guysheaffer I'm headed to the same area in October 2016. I booked a 4 day liveaboard on the Spirit of Freedom to the Coral Sea as it seemed highly recommended by many people on this board when I was researching. A little out of the way to the south is the SS Yongala....A bus ride, train, or car ride away but I have also heard that is a great option. I'm trying to fit that in as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom