Scuba Diving Lung Built from Salvaged CO2 Tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There is a gentleman over on the VDH Forum who has chronicled his construction and modifications while undertaking the build of one of these, or something similar.
That would be our good buddy BT (Antique Diver) who did that. Actually went diving with the contraption too! 👀

When I was in the U.S. Air Force, we made our “jump tanks” out of used 20 man life raft CO2 bottles. We had to remove the wire wrapping, and used bands the USAF had made for this purpose. This we simply put a military harness on the tanks, and for parascuba jumps we put a modified parachute harness (longer diagonal back straps) on over the tanks. But I have been using these for years, until the 1/2 inch tapered threads got the better of the valve and they would no longer seal. I loved that set, and used them extensively. These had to be tapped for the 1/2 inch tapered thread, and USD double tank valves used on it. Below is a photo of my set with a Healthways Hybrid Scuba regulator on it (hybrid as it has the original Healthways Scuba boxes and exhaust system, and the Gold Label valve system, which made it a very easy breathing regulator. These tanks were rated at 2100 psig, and I calculated them at one time to be about 42 cubic feet each.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00327.jpeg
    DSC00327.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 48
The instructor who initially taught me, John O'Rourke, was a crew member on B-29s during the Korean war. He built his first set of scuba gear from the pages of Popular Science or Popular Mechanics utilizing high altitude Air Force regulators and salvaged O2 cylinders [maybe from these same plans]. By the time he taught me in the 1970s he had passed through the double hose era [where I have been stuck since I learned to dive] and was a certified ScubaPro fanboy. His regulator of choice back then was a SP Pilot [also one of my faves to this day].

Those old photo's bring back memories of some good old times. I remember some of the crazy things my friends and I built to get our heads underwater. My very first underwater breathing experience was also almost my last. I was sitting on the bottom in a very shallow bayou off of Tampa Bay in about 1967. Back then, the bayous were still really clear. I had a Kmart mask on, had the end of a garden hose clamped between my teeth and I was breathing underwater just like my heroes, the UDT Frogmen!

At least, I was breathing underwater until my little brother got tired of jumping up and down on the air pump connected to my garden hose air line. My head was only about three feet underwater but my great idea for weights was turning out to be not so great after all. Cinder blocks. Hey, they were free. My scrawny little legs fit thru them perfectly before I threw myself off the dock but now that I was sitting on the bottom, the angles were wrong and I was stuck.

I learned a few hard but good lessons that day. Make sure the quick release on your weights actually works. Road rash doesn't have to be the result of roads. It can come from cinder blocks too. Road rash bleeds. Big patches of it bleed a lot. Saltwater burns in road rash really bad. It burns in fresh road rash even more bad. Don't use garden hose for air line. It leaves a bad taste that last a long time. Never rely on somebody else for your air. Carry enough of your own. And most importantly: Yes, your Mom can be mad and horrified sick at the same time when she sees you standing there crying, soaking wet, your shorts torn halfway off with blood pooling around both feet.

Those old photo's bring back memories of some good old times. I remember some of the crazy things my friends and I built to get our heads underwater. My very first underwater breathing experience was also almost my last. I was sitting on the bottom in a very shallow bayou off of Tampa Bay in about 1967. Back then, the bayous were still really clear. I had a Kmart mask on, had the end of a garden hose clamped between my teeth and I was breathing underwater just like my heroes, the UDT Frogmen!

At least, I was breathing underwater until my little brother got tired of jumping up and down on the air pump connected to my garden hose air line. My head was only about three feet underwater but my great idea for weights was turning out to be not so great after all. Cinder blocks. Hey, they were free. My scrawny little legs fit thru them perfectly before I threw myself off the dock but now that I was sitting on the bottom, the angles were wrong and I was stuck.

I learned a few hard but good lessons that day. Make sure the quick release on your weights actually works. Road rash doesn't have to be the result of roads. It can come from cinder blocks too. Road rash bleeds. Big patches of it bleed a lot. Saltwater burns in road rash really bad. It burns in fresh road rash even more bad. Don't use garden hose for air line. It leaves a bad taste that last a long time. Never rely on somebody else for your air. Carry enough of your own. And most importantly: Yes, your Mom can be mad and horrified sick at the same time when she sees you standing there crying, soaking wet, your shorts torn halfway off with blood pooling around both feet.
EGADS, …the things we will try to attempt SCUBA.😧🤣🤔🤿

EGADS, …the things we will try to attempt SCUBA.😧🤣🤔🤿
Yeah, the hot water bottle air tank worked a lot better. At least it did until I blew it up filling it at the gas station from their air compressor. I think maybe that and my cinder block weights are what convinced my Mom to let me get professional grade gear at ten years old.

Back
Top Bottom