Scuba equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When purchasing your basic equipment for scuba diving take into consideration the places where you plan to go diving. There are people here in the Midwest who only dive the warm waters of the Caribbean. For those people, a cylinder and weights would not be considered basic scuba gear. Those items are usually rented or included in the dive package of the place where you are booking your trip.
For those younger divers who are still growing, it might be wise to rent a BC and wetsuit until you become a size that is consistent.
For divers who dive warm and cold water, choose equipment that will work in both. The BCD should have adequate lift for both environments.
If you find that you totally love the sport and want to continue your education, choose gear that will "grow" with your educational needs. A dive computer that accommodates nitrox calculations as well as air would be an example.
When you purchase your gear whether from a local dive store or online, it is always wise to make sure that they are authorized by the manufacturer's to sell and service that gear. This is simple to do by going to the manufacturer websites where they list the facilities that they sell to.
Realize that no manufacturer can afford to make a bad piece of equipment but if you plan to take trips abroad are there facilities that in those destinations that are able to fix the specific brand of gear that you do purchase should a problem arise?
I dive both cold and warm water so my basics list is a bit more extensive than the person who only dives in tropical conditions.

What is the basic equipment needed to go diving? I am looking into buying an entire set in the future (probably within the next year) So I was just wondering what the basic equipment needed was and possible a short description of what it is for.. Im sorry if there is another topic on this. :dork2: i couldnt find one so a link would work also. thanks!
1. fins, goggles, snorkle, wetsuit, watch

2. BCD, Regs, Gauge, Dive computer - put alot of research into these 4 products they are the most important ones.

3. You can start considering to buy other accessories such as a Flaslight, Slate, your own tank cylinders, knifes, dive tables, wieghts and possibley a drysuit in the future.

You might need to buy some things also depending ont he coarses that u take.

...diveing equipment can get really expensive! so be ready for that

Your Instructor will cover all that in a class ... good luck

Welcome to ...
:sblogo:
... :colours::colours:...
banana.gif

For those younger divers who are still growing, it might be wise to rent a BC and wetsuit until you become a size that is consistent.
OR get a bp/w that would easily adjust for the perfect fit on every dive.

I would recommend a new dad as the one you have must not be too concerned about your safety. Taking a non-certified diver on dives is just plain lunacy. Good luck to you.

NCMermaid....Fill out your profile...Where in NC do you dive?

Equipment...Mask, fins, snorkel and booties....Go from there...And you can get rid of the snorkel later:shocked2:

What is the basic equipment needed to go diving? I am looking into buying an entire set in the future (probably within the next year) So I was just wondering what the basic equipment needed was and possible a short description of what it is for.. Im sorry if there is another topic on this. :dork2: i couldnt find one so a link would work also. thanks!

You will need a mask, snorkel and fin for the open water course.

After your course, I suggest you get a regulator set, which includes octopus and gauges console and BC vest, and a wetsuit. It depending on what type of water you dive in, the thickness of the suit. At this point, you will have all the Basic gear you need to dive rec.

Some will tell you to get a computer, but you can hold off on that. All the toys, like knife and dive lights are toys, not really needed. Hope this helps:wink:

First things first. You need to get SCUBA certified. Then, i would learn a little more about equipment brands and the equipment itself. Maybe rent for a little while, see what you like, and then make your decision. I myself have been browsing stores and websites for months, and I just went on a dive and tried out some dive gear I've been looking at.

Basic gear for snorkeling: Mask, Fins, Snorkel

Basic gear for SCUBA: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Regulator, BCD, Tank, Octopus, Guages

Check out more about scuba online

P.S There is tons of stuff other divers may NEED, depending on the conditions, place, and way of diving.

Hope This Helped!:wink:

I am going to get NAUI certified. Does it matter whether its NAUI or PADI?

Despite what anyne tells you, "no" it does not make a difference which one of the alphabet agencies is on your card (except for some of the more obscure ones). What makes the difference is the instructor.

First things first. You need to get SCUBA certified. Then, i would learn a little more about equipment brands and the equipment itself. Maybe rent for a little while, see what you like, and then make your decision. I myself have been browsing stores and websites for months, and I just went on a dive and tried out some dive gear I've been looking at.

Basic gear for snorkeling: Mask, Fins, Snorkel

Basic gear for SCUBA: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Regulator, BCD, Tank, Octopus, Guages

Check out more about scuba online

P.S There is tons of stuff other divers may NEED, depending on the conditions, place, and way of diving.

Hope This Helped!:wink:

Good advice. As far as tons of other stuff divers may need, there is a ton of stuff we don't need but buy anyway. we are as bad as sport pilots in that respect.

Then there is stuff we do need, of which there are a range of options. I would add one more things to the stuff we do need. Some kind of emergency signaling device. You can get an air powered horn that go on your power inflator hose (about $50). Expensive but loud. Or you can buy a Fox 40 whistle (one of the loudest around) or Hurricane whistle (I use both in lifeguarding). They cost about $8, including the cable tie used to fix it to your power inflator. And you have saved a ton of money. I would also add inexpensive clips and holders for your gage console (if you use one) and the octopus. It keeps these things from dangling and bouncing across the reef. Plus it makes you more streamlined. Again you can pay anywhere from a few bucks for a simple clip to tens of dollars for clips with retractors. I like to keep things simple.

Back
Top Bottom