Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavy D:
My vote has to go for the Avalanche as well, I've been looking and this seems to be good for many reasons.

1. Seating room for 4 full size divers
2. Covered cargo area to prevent theft and weathering of gear
3. Room for more gear than you'll probably ever need
4. Cargo area is sparate from passenger area preventing wet carpets and having to smell stinky gear
5. Can convert to carry more gear if necessary and have towing capabilities if you want to pull a boat or travel trailer

As a testimony, 2 Instructors and a DM from my LDS have all bought Avalanches in the last 3-6 months

I just bought one last week and am in love with it! It is fabulous!!! I have been calling it my new boyfriend! I bought it for the above reasons and others. You can't go wrong with the Avalanche. Mine has a shell on it as well so I have even more versitility.

Kimber

I am a single diver and drive a Mazda Miata to get around with equipment. Although it is one of the smallest cars available, it gets me, 1 set of doubles, 2 deco bottles, and 2 large pelican cases to the dive sites.

inter_alia:
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I drive a BMW X5 and it fits all my equipment very well. So I would suggest an BMW X5 or if you want less expensive I would suggest a Ford Escape, Explorer or Sport Trac. Nope, not a Ford fan here however they are cost effecient for someone starting out ...

Volvo 850 T5R station wagon (yellow, of course). Fits four adults (AND a child seat, if you must), all their diving gear and more on the roof if needed. Very safe, pretty fast.

totally late and after the fact, but my girlfriends Scion xB works surprisingly well at hauling 2 divers and gear around, while getting 30+ mpg. My lil nissan sentra does pretty well also, albeit riding around with cylinders in the back seat.

Hmm... I dive a lot, so I guess I'd have to go with a Water Car.

10large.jpg

you prolly need neoprene seat covers for the water car though....

O|||||||O
Jeep Driver

truck.JPG

chevy 3500 extended cab with 150 gallon L shaped inbed fueltank , truck box for locking stuff up. When the back seat is not in use its folded up and i can carry almost a dozen tanks upright. when folded down we have a tank rack for in the bed. I can load 4 guys in the truck comfy 5 if somone sits in the middle in back. with 4 tanks each as well as a pile of spearguns , coolers all their gear bags. while towing a 23 foot proline. Its my dive gear hauling machine to the max

Hybrid car, any size you wanted.
Someone told me I need to drive the car for 8-10 years before I get back the extra $ paid for the hybrid. However for my case, I drive around (besides work) a lot, like x2.

To me, it make a lot of sense, I don't know about the price for gas at your state, but in the future esp when you get a 4x4 or so, it's going to make a big difference. Station to station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom