Scuba Gear for 7 footer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretend that the backplate is there to centralise weight and hold the tank straps to the tank

Tecline thick stainless plate is plenty big enough

happy-diver 3mm lead sheet weight plates, no patent

Seasoft Ti Stealth boots

Deep 6 fins

foot size would be helpful not talking size appropriate

and I suppose if you insist on reaching out you could probably reach from one chapel ceiling to the next

302 zzzzmichelangelo-adam-creation-adam-fresco-6509125.jpg

I will definitely reach out to them.

The Creation of Adam

Sistine Chapel Ceiling

I am 6'7" (the most I will admit to). Henderson makes some pretty good wetsuits. I find mine a XXXLT a bit long, so you might take a look at them. I would start looking for used 120s or 130 tanks. There is are periodicly divers that get to old to heft them or stop doing tech. BP/W is probably the right direction. Boots and gloves are going to be the bane of your existence. the Largest rock boots I was able to find to go with my dry suit were Hollis size 16. One old trick is to buy Keds High Tops (they can go to size 17, possibly bigger). They are canvas, so they will dry out in a reasonable amount of time and can be used with a dry suit sock or a neoprene wetsuit sock. The good news about being a big guy is that you are probably going to be more cold tolerant and a good wetsuit (7mm) may cover much of the temperature range where your buddies will be switching over to dry.

Yeah man, you're going to go custom on exposure protection. If you're worried about cost, get the cheapest custom drysuit you can get, but get it custom.

Halcyon makes a long-pattern backplate which is all I use anymore. It'll be a little short on you, but it really doesn't matter that much.

Don't worry too much about tanks. It's better to make sure your equipment fits; finding perfect tanks comes later.

I would second talking to Cricket. She makes very good stuff. The real question is where are you going to be diving? People are assuming your diving will all be where you live, but that may not be true. I am 6' 4" and I learned early on that a custom wetsuit was the way to go. I just got a new one because my old one was just like me, full of osteoarthritis and it was only 10 years old:) When I was measured for my old wetsuit, the guy measured me and then said "you're a freak."

I believe Henderson will do custom cut wetsuit on their higher end stuff

I think the longest commercially available backplate is the Scuba Force Black Devil Long. It's about an inch longer than the Halcyon long plate.

A belated welcome to the SB! You don’t mention your weight. If tall and slender, that presents one set of challenges, tall and heavily built yet another. regardless, a custom exposure suit will likely be in order.

I think the previous posters are correct saying you should get the longest backplate out there along with an appropriate wing. Find a dive shop familiar with the BP/W system and have them make you up an appropriate harness to go with it. the system is modular, so you should be able to build it to fit.

Another consideration is your regulator. The standard length hose from 1st stage to 2nd (the part at your mouth) will probably be too short, but a well stocked dive shop will have long and extra long low pressure hoses so you don’t feel restrained by a too short hose.

The discussions on fins and exposure suits have already been covered, and masks and snorkels shouldn’t be problematic. Don’t feel constrained to look for big tanks just because you are… if you are in good physical shape and relax, your air consumption shouldn’t be that much worse than it is for us… the little people.

Enjoy!
🐸

A belated welcome to the SB! You don’t mention your weight. If tall and slender, that presents one set of challenges, tall and heavily built yet another. regardless, a custom exposure suit will likely be in order.

I think the previous posters are correct saying you should get the longest backplate out there along with an appropriate wing. Find a dive shop familiar with the BP/W system and have them make you up an appropriate harness to go with it. the system is modular, so you should be able to build it to fit.

Another consideration is your regulator. The standard length hose from 1st stage to 2nd (the part at your mouth) will probably be too short, but a well stocked dive shop will have long and extra long low pressure hoses so you don’t feel restrained by a too short hose.

The discussions on fins and exposure suits have already been covered, and masks and snorkels shouldn’t be problematic. Don’t feel constrained to look for big tanks just because you are… if you are in good physical shape and relax, your air consumption shouldn’t be that much worse than it is for us… the little people.

Enjoy!
🐸
you can wait on the tank, but big guys have big lungs. Don’t feel bad if you are the first one up. Masks can be a problem(they are for me). Old school porthole masks will fit almost anyone. The low volume masks can be harder to fit. My I am 240 lbs and you are almost a half foot taller. That is big even by my standards.

Call Dive Alaska and talk to anybody but Josh. They will be able to steer you the right way and help you out.
Other than Josh, I think their shortest employee is about 6'7"
And yes, I am serious.

you're going to want to get the Tall Halcyon plate. A back plate and wing is much better at fitting a wide range of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom