Scuba Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Coll!

I think you'll find hotel prices the single biggest expense, so that is where I'd start looking for deals. Meal costs in the resort areas are also very high. And you'll almost certainly want to rent a car, regardless of which island(s) you choose to visit.

So, my suggestion would to:

1. Pick the island you want to visit. Each island has different things to see.
2. Once you've decided on #1, you can start researching hotels, vacation rentals, youth hostels, etc.
3. While there is really no "off season" in Hawaii, most families plan their Hawaiian vacations around school schedules.... so during months when "school is out" is generally when the hotels are busiest and you are less likely to find "deals".
4. There are places (on the Big Island anyway) that you can camp and shore dive. But generally you'll need a permit, camping facilities are often primitive or absent, and I would not recommend it without "local knowledge" about the dive conditions or the "safety" of the camping area.
5. Boat diving versus shore diving: If you bring your own equipment (less tanks and weights), you can dive on a student budget by just renting tanks and weights, getting dive site recommendations from the dive shop and then hopping in your rental car and going for it.... but my recommendation is to go with a local guide. At least for one or two dives at a site to get an "orientation". Boat diving with one of the local operators will be more expensive, but may be a better option because you'll be taken to good sites and have a DM to guide you. Or you can do a little of both :wink:

I think you can come to Hawaii and dive on a student budget, but it will take a lot of planning.

Let us know which island you decide on, and I think you can get more specific advice.

Good Luck!

Wonders me every time you post it, because I haven't experienced Oahu the way you describe it....

Neither have I.

I had a great time, never had issues with transportation, had great dives, enjoyed the ops and never received the bird from anyone other than the people I was traveling with during the two weeks I spent there.

Of course, I was looking to have a good time. I'm sure I could make a bad experience of it if I tried.

I haven't dove Oahu but have dove a lot in the Caribbean and honestly all I can say is the diving is different. I mean the water is about the same temps, the vis was about the same, the coral nicer in the Caribbean but the critters were much smaller. It was kind of fun to see a dive leader there get out of their skin over a tiny little turtle. Much larger critters in Hawaii.

we thought it was funny, too, to see everybody get so excited about the little turtles in Cozumel and Bonaire. Hawaii turtles are BIG!!! Nothing can quite compare! And Al, we hope to do the same thing, too, go to the different islands via ferry and dive, too, when we retire to Maui! Take care, Maggi

Don't retire Maggi, just work on maui. Lots of fun work to do there :) Retired people die.

we'll work part time on Maui, after we 'retire' from our other jobs here. Just 5-6 more years! We'll be back again, for 3 weeks in Feb., 09. Hope to meet you and Jill! Take care, Maggi

Coll, you are talking my language. On my recent trip to Oahu, I stayed at the Seaside Hawaiian Hostel. It is located right in Waikiki and it only cost me $54 night. You would be hard pressed to find a better lodging deal and a better location, especially in winter. Downside is that it has no AC, but it was very clean and secure and the with the winter temps you won't need AC. Second, depending on who you go with for your dives, you won't need a rental car. The Bus on Oahu can get you just about anywhere you want, even to the historical sites (Pearl Harbor, etc...) For cheap eats, you will need to get out of Waikiki, but if you don't minding pounding a little shoe leather, taking a cab or the bus, you can get to some great, inexpensive restaurants. Try L&L (they are all over the place), noodle shops, or dozens of other places that the locals on this board can clue you into to. Let see-food, lodging and diving. Yep, that about covers it. As far as a dive operator, give Gabe Scotti at Kaimana Divers a call-808-772-1795 or visit kaimanadivers.com

we'll work part time on Maui, after we 'retire' from our other jobs here. Just 5-6 more years! We'll be back again, for 3 weeks in Feb., 09. Hope to meet you and Jill! Take care, Maggi

We look forward to diving with you next feb then. I'll be the old wrinkled dark guy with a huge smile on his face :)

I might suggest the hostels on Lemon Road as well. Not sure if they compare to the prices that Actosrep described but there are two of them right next to eachother. If trying to keep it on the cheap, hostels can be a major way to keep some coin in your pocket!

Aloha,

G

OK as for being on Budget the use of Oahu as your home base and doing day trips to the other islands can be very affordable...
Oahu has several hostels as well as do the other Island so can be done cheap..
As for transportation we are the ONLY ISLAND with mass public trans..... BUS service...You can go anywhere on Island...Other Islands best to Rent Car..Limited bus service at best on Maui...
Where ever you go you will enjoy Hawaii and YES ALOHA is on ALL ISLANDS if it is in YOU ALSO...
ALOHA MARK>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom