Scuba marketplace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi people. I need your help.
I'm preparing a Marketplace snapshot and I need to know average numbers of the amount of divers in % that keep diving after 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 years of certification, and the average number of dives per year.
I understand that the numbers can change with the geographical location, but for the average US citizen diver living near the coast or a place with diving alternatives.

I'm preparing a Marketplace snapshot and I need to know average numbers of the amount of divers in % that keep diving after 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 years of certification, and the average number of dives per year.
I understand that the numbers can change with the geographical location, but for the average US citizen diver living near the coast or a place with diving alternatives.

Duplicate

The only reliable source would be a dive agency. My observation is 66% or more quit the activity within 3 years. That's why LDSs are so quick to get new divers to buy their own gear.

In university courses, 50% never complete the open water portion to complete the course.

Last edited:
My experience was: I knew I'd be diving for the rest of my life after I did the "Discover Scuba" program. Maybe that's because my first dive ever was in the warm clear waters of Aruba and saw lots of sealife, a plane, and bombs, but I'm pretty sure you could have thrown me into mud and I'd still love it! So far I only do it on 2-3 vacations per year, but I'm sure that will drastically change once I finish school and move back to a coast... it'll be more like 2-3 times a week :D

If anyone pretended to really know how many people continued diving and for how long, I've never seen it. If someone wanted to know, it would pretty much have to be the certifying agencies. And I suspect that they get the same impression as most of us, that a great many people don't dive beyond the first year or three, and they would just as soon not acknowledge that, because it's not very promotional. And then you'd have to decide what data to collect and what's meaningful. Just "Did you dive during the past year?" makes no distinction between one dive or 100.

I guess it all depends on where you live and how easy it is to access dive sites as well as work and family committments.

Personally I have lived next to the sea for the last 20 years but the UAE does not have great diving so I don't dive every weekend like I did when I lived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Additionally there were three years in the last decade that I did not dive at all because of work committments and a busy flight schedule.

This would probably be easier for you to determine response if you added a poll to the thread.

I have written two research papers using survey responses, which indicate number of dives, and number of dives in the past month. Data regarding how many years someone keeps diving is going to be hard to get, because some people start, then stop for several years, then start again. I don't believe I've seen that data anywhere in my research efforts. Hopefully the work I sent you is of some use. Cave Diving Risk Perception and Behaviour is the first paper, the second paper never got polished like the last, and I keep meaning to fix it up some more before posting it online, but I might post it here as well when I dig up the latest .pdf.

Back
Top Bottom