Scuba mask vs Snorkel mask - is there a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the inexpensive masks/snorkels sets in drug stores and elsewhere in Florida. These would probably be the ones to stay away from for diving. As mentioned, buying one from a dive shop would be safe. I bought one for snorkelling (but good for diving) in a dive shop in 1985 that cost $85.

Does this means that mask with tempered glass is meant for diving? I Found this mask for almost 20 dollars and saleman said it's for diving, Although It is cressi, I don't trust him so much. How can I make sure, would it have some thing written on it or on booklet etc?

Thank you.

Look closely at the glass. It should say in small inconspicuous (usually white) letters: “Tempered”, or “Tempered Glass” or even just the letter “T”.

If a mask that is not made from tempered glass has an increased risk of causing injury due to shattering, I fail to see how it would be suited to snorkeling, and not diving. In both activities, the risk of injury is the same for this particular cause. Should not all masks be made from tempered glass regardless of activity?

That's what I'm afraid of, The store is pretty good, Decalthon in mirdiff city center. But don't trust the salesman.

Hi, first post here...
Been snorkelling a bit over the years and last year did my first couple of guided dives in Malaysia. I'm going back there this year to do my Open Water certificate with a PADI resort. Already passed the online course, can't wait for the summer holiday!!

Now the question. I will be using the resort gear, but may take my own mask / snorkel which I am comfortable with. The mask is an AQA single lens model that I bought for snorkelling a couple of years ago. It fits very nicely and is in good condition. Is this going to be suitable for diving to 12~18 meters? Is there something vastly different in the specs? Could it be dangerous to use for scuba?

Thanks in advance.

If you like your mask you could check AQA's website for the specs of the mask if possible. Alternatively, you should go to some dive shops in Japan and check out which ones fit best. You can do some online research on what masks look good too lol!

Al Boom and Neptune diving seems like good shop but Haven't bought anything from those places yet.

If you've already been using the mask for a couple of years and the faceplate is tempered, then you're good to go. The purchase price of a mask isn't a reliable indicator of quality. I have some masks that I paid $25 to $35 for that I've been using for years and work fine. I paid $65 for a couple of others that failed in short order.

If you like your AQA mask and it fits you, then dive it and enjoy your trip.

There are toy masks and there are real ones. In terms of quality they are all of the real ones fine for any underwater sport.

Tempered glass is the defining safety factor and silicone skirt/strap are hallmarks of good construction. Stainless steel pins in the buckles are also a good sign.

Free divers will have a strong preference for a low volume mask (easy equalizing) but these are gaining favor with scuba divers too (wide field of view).

After that it's all about fit.

Pete

I use a scubapro trinidad which is a snorkel mask. works great. has never leaked a drop yet.
it does have tempered glass too.

SCUBAPRO - TRINIDAD MASK

you can find them cheap too.

I think its the same mask as the Bare Frameless too

You want to make sure it has High tempured glass and surgical grade silicone

Back
Top Bottom