Scuba on the resort for Grand Palladium Kantaneh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm planning our vacation for next month. We have always stayed at the Riu hotel and I've used scuba caribe. But somehow Riu are very expensive this year so now I'm focusing on the resort called Grand Palladium Kantaneh.

According to the brochure it says scuba on-site but then Air-Transat brochure says off-site. I sent an email to the resort but you know that can take days if not even months to get something.

I know of some dive shop around but I wanted to stay on the resort as I can do more dive there. If I have to go out then I'll end up doing less dive. Plus I don't want to leave the family for the complete days.

Has anyone stayed there lately? if so was there any dive shop and did you leave from the resort?

thanks,
Dan

The dive shop at the Grand Palladium is aquaexcursions.com.mx. They are also on Facebook.

http://www.aquaexcursions.com.mx/

They are located next to the beach snack bar at the Colonial. I stayed at the Kantaneh in February and had about a 10 minute walk to the dive shop every morning. They load onto the boat off the beach in front of the dive shop. They have a 8:30 am, a 10:30 am and a 1:30 pm dive.

They store my gear for me while i am there. This was my second year diving with them. Nice bunch of people.

Thanks for that great info spc751. Gald to hear they are a great shop. Mind you I'm bringing all my gear but still you want a fairly good shop.

If I may ask you a couple questions;

1. How were the dive site? any wrecks, deep, lots of coral? I done lots in Playa del Carmen but this is further away so I doubt they go there right?
2. Was it a 2 tank every trip or you can do a 1 tank at 8:30 and then another at 1:30?
2. How did you like the Kantaneh? food, booze and other?
3. Any recommendation on the rooms? Was looking at the Junior rooms. We love the beach so will try to get something close there.

Thanks again.

I have been at the Grand Palladium four times (Colonial x 2, Riveria x 1, Kantaneh x1) and enjoyed every trip. The Kantaneh rooms were renovated this year and are very nice. I have no suggestions on rooms but you will need a map to get around for the first couple of days.

The dive shop goes out for one tank at a time and returns to the beach after each dive so you can go out at any or all three dives during the day. I always like doing the 8:30 and 10:30 dives and sometimes taking the afternoon off to do something else.

The owner of the dive shop is an former US ranger named Mike. Really good guy. He owns dive shops in Playcar and Plays del Carmen as well.

No wrecks where they go diving off the beach but lots of sea life and coral. A lot of lion fish. Rudy, one of the instructors always takes his spear and nails every lion fish he can find.

They can take you to one of their dive shops in PdC to dive there if you like. They also do trips to Cuzumel and Puorto Moreles.

I hear that the food in the ala cartas is very good but I only eat in the buffets and the food is good. There are live bands every night in the Colonial and Riveria lobbies which is very good.

The Kantaneh and Colonial share a buffet overlooking their pools for lunch. It is VERY busy from around 11:30 to 1:30. The bar in the buffet has very good hard ice cream.

The White Sands and Riveria share a buffet overlooking their pools and it is not busy at all at lunch time.

I find the staff in the lobby bars to be very friendly but I tip and I treat them as people not as slaves.

Thanks spc751, that was helpful. I can't wait to go now, been a loooong winter here and we can't dive yet unless you do ice diving.

Dan

I forgot, go to the beach bbq, it very good. You need reservations. And go the the light/fire show at the salt water pool. It is spectacular!

Wow great info. I always like to hear from people who went there instead of the resort website. I can't wait now, only 1 month left.

Back
Top Bottom