Scuba Pro - Black Tech and X-Tek Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim we all have our own opinion’s this wasn’t a post for you to come and blast people with your negative comments. Though I do appreciate you comment it wasn’t needed. I was just looking for feedback on scubapro I have used all sorts of manufactures equipment I just happen to like the quality and fit and finish of scubapro. I have used OMS and diverite to name a few also. I have to disagree that all manufacturer are equal.

lol 90lbs i plan on pulling up the uboat you never know

And if you need to know the cost of the reg’s there about 700 each.

Also i use 2 119 tanks

Fair enough. It's just that in the past few days I have had emails and calls from a few people who were talked into something they really did not need or in one case want. When I first got certed I had all of my gear before the OW class was over. I have exactly one mask, one pair of fins, and one snorkel that hangs on my gear rack left of that. I bought what was "the best stuff that the mfg has to offer" in that line. And it was good stuff, it worked, and I spent over 2k on it. And I have none of it left because it soon became apparent that it did not fit my needs and was not adequate for my interests.

I learned the hard way. My intro to tech and helitrox classes started with the instructor having everyone bring in the gear they planned to use. He then broke it down piece by piece. I only had a few items to change because I had been reading and diving with some GUE trained divers on occaision and bought my "tech gear" based on that. But there were others in the class that had to make some major changes.

A few years ago I bought a copy of Tom Mount's "Tao of Survival Underwater." aka "Encyclopedia of Mixed Gas and Exploration Diving" or something along those lines. Don't have it in front of me now. In it are guidelines for configuring gear and while not brand specific they are very good. I use a variation of them for my AOW classes. Based on my own experience I hate to see divers spend more than they need to. You have been waiting weeks for gear and as a result missing dives, training opportunities, and some really cool stuff.

As for your dealer and ScubaPro. It may be both of them. There is a dealer near me that has been a ScubaPro dealer since 1960. He gets everything new that comes out. He had two of their regs last year that were brand new on display in his case. Don't remember which ones they were but they were like $700 each. He was enjoying telling me how his area rep came in and was surprised to see them because he was still waiting on his sample one. ScubaPro does not treat all dealers the same from my experience with this shop and one that is relatively new and does not carry near the amount of inventory.

My other issue is that unless you are in really tight with your shop it will be a pain to get kits for those regs should you want to service them yourself. Now that may be ok for you but I want regs that if I need to I can tear down and fix in the field should an issue arise. It's why I'm switching all my regs over. I have a ScubaPro Mk16 with an R190 octo as stage reg. Simple, reliable, and yet getting kits for it involves me begging one place and another outright refuses to sell them to divers. I just don't want to jump through hoops anymore like I also have to with my Oceanics. I can get kits but it's always with looks that are not appreciated.

And with 10 regs currently in my personal inventory I am not of a mind to pay someone to service them when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself. The money you've spent and are not seeing anything from to date is money that could have had you diving now. New stuff is always a crap shoot and ScubaPro is no different from many other lines. Look how long it took for the replacement for the Nitek to come out. I knew one instructor that waited for months after plunking down 1400 bucks or more. Ended up going with something else. I'm just saying that you could have gotten a BPW and regs for about what you paid for your regs alone and been diving. And later when the new gear was out and available and proven you could have moved into it. But you would have been diving and gaining experience. Not having to call your dealer only to be told "not yet". I apologize for my earlier post but stuff like this really bugs me.

Maybe it's because I have to choose carefully and don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on stuff. But I have found that going beneath the names, marketing techniques, and looking at the guts of the gear and what other divers who are really diving it say means that I have been able to get gear that is just as reliable, just as well made, and that I can service myself for a fraction of what I might have spent. And get it when I want it with no more than a delay of a couple days. As a result I am diving more and spending less, with no frustration.

michaelallen1978,
I just checked Simply Scuba website (UK store), they have the Scubapro MK25/A700 Black Tech Regulator DIN 300 in stock the price is £629, so it is available for Immediate delivery in Europe, why you have been waiting for so long I don't know, you just have to push again.

Jim I like your response that's what I wanted to hear thank you very much.

If you could list the items you are using that would be vary helpful for for me. Its not to late for me to switch gear

michaelallen1978,
I just checked Simply Scuba website (UK store), they have the Scubapro MK25/A700 Black Tech Regulator DIN 300 in stock the price is £629, so it is available for Immediate delivery in Europe, why you have been waiting for so long I don't know, you just have to push again.

Different supply channel and SP may favor the UK/European market since, if I remember right, they are a UK based company.

Simply Scuba doesn't ship ScubaPro to North America anymore as shown on the selection on their site.
Furthermore, I think ScubaPro service in Europe is mainly, ship the regs back to SP, they service it, sends it back.

It wouldn't really work with being here in American and paying the full price for the reg without a warranty is kinda pointless.

BTW ScubaPro is owned by Johnson Outdoors and it's an American company, owned by SC Johnson.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom