Scuba Pro MK25 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, with all the talk over the torque wrench, what does everyone recommend? I have a ft-lb model for torquing down head bolts on an engine but somehow I think it might be a little too much for working on a reg. haha.

Unfortunately, you really need a wrench calibrated in inch/pounds for working on regs, except for the yoke or DIN retainer, then you can use one in ft/lbs.

Why not work with an Authorized Scubapro dealer, go to the " Amazing " Scubapro repair clinic and become a Pro repair tech. Any dive shop could use a Pro Tech.

It sounds like your shop may be happy to have a real Pro.
Generally I'd agree with you as I've never been unattached to a Scubapro shop since I got initially certified about 15 years ago, and I've been actively recruited everywhere I've moved by shop owners once they realize I've moved and where I live now.

However since the last move, I've had to amend that viewpoint. The dealer in the area does not appear to be very interested at all.

-----

The potential pitfall of the Scubapro repair clinic is that it's a two day course for new techs and that is really only enough to get the basic knowledge needed to work with another more experienced tech in a shop to learn the finer points of reg repair. With a good mentor, a new tech can get up to speed pretty quickly and become truly good - but on your own it's a long, difficult process. I get calls now and then from the brand new recently certified tech from one of the shops I used to work with when he runs into problems that the class and the manuals don't really address - and there are a lot of those issues. I feel for him as it's difficult without some in-shop expertise to lean on.

---------- Post Merged at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 PM ----------

You have a point. We, the dive industry, don't charge enough for our professional services.

I feel that our techs get a fair share of the amount the client pays, but I truly wish I could give them more because they deserve it.
The standard is normally 1/2 the service rate charged to the customer, and that averages $25-$30 per stage. So, on a first second and octo, that's between $37.50 and $45.00 for the reg service. That should include disassembly, cleaning, service, reassembly, tuning, bench testing and wet testing, but that can normally be done in 60 to 90 minutes depending on the particular stages involved.

So the hourly rate is not too bad. Unfortunately the work is generally not all that steady, even in large metropolitan areas so it ends up being a part time occupation for most (good) techs. That's actually a better service model however than having sales staff or a store manager try to do it as an additional duty in between customers. That's where interruptions occur that can result in things like...umm....retaining bolts being installed in swivel caps and turrets but not actually tightened properly.

I'd love to start a regional/mail in service business, but Scubapro is wedded to the LDS service model and is not amenable to changing that approach, so such a business would require all the over head of a full service dive shop, and that makes the concept pretty much unworkable. That's too bad as if the tech could be independent of the shop and it's over head, they could charge enough less than $30 per stage to make if economically attractive to the customer even after the shipping costs each way, while maintaining enough profit and volume to provide a livable full time wage.

It would resolve the problems associated with the LDS model and part time techs with limited experience and/or additional duty techs, but it would also mean the loss of a revenue stream for the LDS (although they'd save space on the service area and would not need to stock parts or pay for the techs insurance out of their half of the service fees, so the actual loss in net profit would not be great - if any).

What are the requirements for a Scubapro dealership? Could you just be a mail order dealer?

Now that I know there is a DIY section, I think I will join you. haha. :)

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Cool. I have ordered "THE" two books on regulator repair and maintenance. I'm going to read through those and then eventually pick up the proper tools.

btw, here is the photo of the leak. Please ignore the bald spot. haha

GOPR0213.JPG
Sorry I can't help myself.......

Looks like a Sherwood from here!

Sorry I can't help myself.......

Looks like a Sherwood from here!

That hurts. HAHA.

What are the requirements for a Scubapro dealership? Could you just be a mail order dealer?

I'm not even sure I'd want to work on other people's stuff just for the simple fact that this country is so sue happy. I could see someone breaking a strap on their fin while on a dive trip and sueing me because I worked on their regs.

Now for my own gear, I'd take as much experience and training as someone was willing to give. The good part is that all I'd really need is Scubapro and AquaLung training.

:rofl3: I have never heard a business say we charge too much for our services.
ams511, Have you been to Aspen, CO?

In many businesses, if you have to ask " How much does it cost? ", then you don't belong there.

They are very Proud that they charge too much for their services!

ams511, Have you been to Aspen, CO?

In many businesses, if you have to ask " How much does it cost? ", then you don't belong there.

They are very Proud that they charge too much for their services!

I never had the pleasure of visiting Aspen, however I know exactly what you mean. There are businesses in South Florida that cater to the "Rich and Famous" with a similar attitude. However I am sure we ask them they will claim they are worth every dollar and maybe a few more.

---------- Post Merged at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:07 AM ----------

I'm not even sure I'd want to work on other people's stuff just for the simple fact that this country is so sue happy. I could see someone breaking a strap on their fin while on a dive trip and sueing me because I worked on their regs.

In the U.S. people can sue for anything, however they are only going to sue for a payoff. If the payoff is not worth the effort then attorneys are not going to take the cases so the secret is judgement proofing. If there is no easy money attorneys move on to a easier victim. I read where hedge funds are investing in nursing homes and rearranging the finances so if the nursing home gets sued (a common occurrence) the best an attorney can hope to get is the business license, worth absolutely nothing. Also the hedge funds get really creative with the ownership structures that make difficult if not impossible for attorneys to find out who really owns the nursing homes.

If McDonalds can get sued for someone spilling their coffee on themselves, I'm not dealing with someone that will want to sue me for them not putting their reg on their tank right and the o-ring blowing out of the tank value or something stupid.

Oh, and yeah, I've seen places down here that won't even sell you something if you ask the price. haha.

Micky D's was sued not for the woman spilling the coffee but the fact it was hot enough to give her serious burns. I am not an attorney but I think the main factor to her winning and McDonalds not appealing was the fact that she was a pathetic old woman. If it was someone younger they would have lost or McDonalds would have appealed.

I watched her give an interview on television after she won the case. She described how her grandson's sports car had a sloping dashboard that was slick because he just cleaned it.There were no cup holders in the car so she put the cup on the dash because it was too hot to hold. When he took off it slide off the dash and into her lap burning her. I couldn't believe the jury sided with her.

Her attorneys made a big deal over how hot the coffee was and McDonalds defense was they were using the same machines as other restaurants and the temperature was normal for coffee served in the US.

---------- Post Merged at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:23 PM ----------

If McDonalds can get sued for someone spilling their coffee on themselves, I'm not dealing with someone that will want to sue me for them not putting their reg on their tank right and the o-ring blowing out of the tank value or something stupid.

Oh, and yeah, I've seen places down here that won't even sell you something if you ask the price. haha.

Read the court documents on the Wesley Skiles case. His wife's attorneys make a big deal about Dive Rite recalling some wings because of faulty OPV springs even though it has nothing to do with the accident and other companies that used the springs recalled them also.

EDIT: If your Sherwood bubbles like that underwater check the one-way valve, the bubbles should exit in an fine stream not like an aquarium air stone. The OP needs to have a serious talk with the dive shop owner and maybe with Scubapro also.

As far as the torque wrench issue goes I have a Craftsman one that cost around 85 bucks. I've seen and used the ones for 15 -30 from places like Harbor Freight at work because they are too damn cheap to get us good ones and would say stay away from those. Study the Wolfinger book before the Airspeed Press one is what I'd advise. Knowing the why makes the doing so much easier.

On a side note re work: that will change as the class I just went to on the pump for our new waterjet showed us how to use a torque amplifier that is included with the specific tools for the machine to get the bolts up to the 720 ft lbs of torque one section requires. Oh and they are going to have to buy me a new inch pound one as well for the new unit. 87,000 psi at the nozzle on this thing and it uses torque ratings from 25 inch pounds to 720 ft lbs in the different sections

Back
Top Bottom