Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's too bad about that lady.

But, driving an unsafe boat for 5 months? Why didn't the captain just spend $20, fix the thing, and tell the owner, "Hey, I fixed your problem. It cost me $20, so if you don't want to pay me and be a cheap s#!tweasel, that's ok." It's not like it was a major hull repair.

I've driven boats owned by some of the most notorious s#!tweasels in the diving industry, and they always reimbursed me for repairs I did.
Tom, I'm suspecting it was a never ending black hole -- owner wouldn't pay 'cause he knew the crew would fix it.

As Bmsrfan said, that is why he left. That young Cap'n that was piloting . . . He gets to bare the brunt of the backlash.

If something like this wasn't fixed, one can only guess at how many more problems there were.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Coast Guard is obviously conducting an investigation. I suppose the issue raised in this thread will be reviewed

I am sorry to say that this accident was completely avoidable. For months this boat has been operated with unsealed deck hatches, a situation the management of the company has been informed of onlivelihood occasions.

Well thanks for the screenshot... I'll be sure to forward it to the family of the deceased so they can include you in the civil suit... Your responsibility does not Start and stop as you step on or off deck. If you think the burden falls only on your brethrens shoulders you a wrong. I am truly sorry for the families involved. Your hindsight and not my fault comment really shows character...

My partner (a career captain) and I are wondering why you didn't report the unsafe condition of this vessel to the USCG long ago, Bmsrfan.

I'm going to add that while post #16 could be deleted at some point for whatever reason, there are a whole lot of screen shots of it floating around. Just sayin'.

Our hearts ache for the family, and also for crew involved in this tragedy. This avoidable accident will haunt the captain for the rest of his life.

How often are commercial dive boats inspected by the USCG?

Not sure about dive boats but I would imagine its the same as fishing boats and it depends on how may people it is certified to carry.... from what I understand 6 packs don't need to get CG inspection.

How often are commercial dive boats inspected by the USCG?

Vessels that carry 6 or fewer passengers for hire are not required to be inspected. Vessels that carry more than 6 are required to have a safety inspection annually and a hull (haul-out) inspection every 2 years. The Coast Guard can inspect any time they want. I am currently waiting for the USCG to inspect a new generator installation, which has nothing to do with either my annual safety or bi-annual hull inspection. Additionally, a vessel is subject to inspection whenever they go to a new area of operation. If I make a trip to Pensacola, I must present myself to the Pensacola Marine Safety Office for a full safety inspection. The new area inspector will inform me of any specific requirements in that zone of operations.

It actually will come down to the contract of the responsibilities when hired for captain, also what is expected of captains through there licence. I'm sure Bmsrfan has come forward cause he knows it was his boat he captained. So did the other captain be warned from leak in aft hatches and by who?

If owner has been gone who is running the day to day operations, they should have some one at scuba shack that makes the call not the owner?

The captain that sunk the boat did his pre check and that is where it will come down to. Bmsrfan said young captain which obviously means little experience.

And for the love of god why in the hell is there not marine 5200 and underwater seal-all on board for leaks.

Bmsrfan why did this happen the day you were suppose too. who contacted the young captain for the charter that day?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom