scuba shorts or glue-on pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did have my weight down to a minimum and noticed I needed a little extra (maybe 1/2 lb?) with the shorts but I was using size "S".

I also don't notice any drag. As an added bonus, the short protect the back of your suit from wear/tear when sitting on rough surfaces.

I went with Dive Xtra's shorts. They are not the most fashionable accessory, but hey there are a lot of divers out there that don't care what they look like in a wetsuit.:)

I considered gluing on pockets, but I use my 3mm for DM'ing in the pool and in tropical locales. As such, my 3mm get thoroughly trashed. Glued on pockets are nicer and less hassle, but I like having the flexibility to replace the suit without adding pockets each time.

This spring, I might even try them over my Fusion with the sport skin as an alternative to my tech skin and pockets (a la TS&M's technique)

Here is the problem - I sometimes dive in locales where my 3mm or 7mm wetsuit might be appropriate (yes, I know many of you dive a DUI 30/30 drysuit in warm water), but now I want thigh pockets on one or both of the wetsuits. I have found that you can buy Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts to be worn over a wetsuit (about $100) or you can buy Highland by Xs-Scuba Glue-On Thigh Pockets ($32 each) that you glue onto a suit with AquaSeal. I can see pro's and con's to both approaches.
It sounds to me that the shorts are a better overall "one size fits all" solution. I am just worried that they will create a fair bit of drag...
Appears that you are leaning toward a good solution. In case you reconsider adding pockets, I will add a thought. I have several dive buddies who started out with glued pockets, and eventually went to glued and sewn. In most cases with 'glue only', they found that the glue would begin to fail in a small area - usually a corner - and gradually the 'detachment' would expand. I have sent a couple of wetsuits, along with new Halcyon pockets, to Mark Owens at Superior Diving in Minnesota, and had them glued AND sewn and am very pleased with the result. It adds a bit to the expense, but they are secure (and the job looks a lot better than my usual Aquaseal work).

I totally agree with Colliam7. If you want a good, permanent attachment, it needs to be sewn. If you have a local shoe repair place, you can talk to them about sewing them -- but make sure they know they need to use some kind of nylon or other synthetic thread, because cotton will rot with time.

Edited to add: The Deep Sea Supply pockets, with the large neoprene backing, are designed so that the shear forces aren't applied to the corners of the glue job. I have not used them, but they might well obviate the necessity for sewing, and although they are expensive, the total cost is probably less for their pockets and a self-glue job than to pay for sewing.

I have a few wetsuits so opted for X-shorts. They are fine. I don't notice the bulk and I love the large pockets. Extra bouyancy in the hips is not something to complain about :)

Did a long trip with them last summer (96 dives in 10 weeks). Around dive 60 the velcro lost some it's effectiveness & I needed to replace the bungee cord waist draw string but otherwise they performed excellent!

Kathy? :wink: This is Dawn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom