Scuba signing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjS

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any web sites that have sign language for divers? I know the basics out of air, share air, ascend, but was wondering what other signs are universal?
I find every time I dive with my sister we have communication problems when new situations arise.

Thanks
Dj

DjS:
Does anyone know of any web sites that have sign language for divers? I know the basics out of air, share air, ascend, but was wondering what other signs are universal?
I find every time I dive with my sister we have communication problems when new situations arise.

Thanks
Dj

There are courses for signing that you could take. If you two dive together pretty exclusively, you could learn ASL (American Sign Language) and use that. There's a web page I have for that, but it's on the work computer... I will post it from there.

DJ-

I teach a specialty course called "Safety Signer" which was created by a company called Sea Signs, Inc. You can check out their web site at http://www.seasigns.com. Their course has been approved by a number of certifying agencies including PADI, SSI, NAUI, YMCA, SDI, and IAHD--you just have to find an instructor trained to teach it.

It's a fun and useful course teaching over 100 signs which you can combine to "say" things like "Hold onto the line.", "Your tank strap is loose. I'll fix it.", or "Wow! Look at the beautiful blue fish near the sponge under the coral." (OK, that last one may be something you say every day, but you would have the vocabulary to sign it if you wanted to).

It's based on a combination of ASL, Signed English, and invented signs.

ASL is pretty wide spread, in the US at least. If you have a dive club or a group of people interested, you should be able to find a qualified ASL interpreter and be able to put together an ASL class dedicated to scuba for very little money. ($40-$50 each)
Finger spelling is also worth knowing, is relatively easy to learn and can be self taught or added to your course. It is a one handed operation and will allow getting the message across even if you do not know the specific sign.

WileEDiver:
DJ-

I teach a specialty course called "Safety Signer" which was created by a company called Sea Signs, Inc. You can check out their web site at http://www.seasigns.com. Their course has been approved by a number of certifying agencies including PADI, SSI, NAUI, YMCA, SDI, and IAHD--you just have to find an instructor trained to teach it.

It's a fun an useful course teaching over 100 signs which you can combine to "say" things like "Hold onto the line.", "Your tank strap is loose. I'll fix it.", or "Wow! Look at the beautiful blue fish near the sponge under the coral." (OK, that last one may be something you say every day, but you would have the vocabulary to sign it if you wanted to).

It's based on a combination of ASL, Signed English, and invented signs.

I've seen the site and it is very cool to actually see the sign demonstrated. The online vocabulary is very limited and I was hoping to find other sites like it.

I will check the site for a local contact and maybe suggest them as a speaker for the dive club I joined.
I have taken child signing which is not ASL but a more user friendly "family" signing class. Does ASL actually have scuba signs? Is there a book that would have the ASL signs useful when diving?

Thanks!
Dj

underwater daphne:
what about a slate to write it down?
I have a slate BUT have enough trouble with my boyancy and locating equipment light- slate- etc that by the time I write down what I want to say the fish or situation is past!

It will be nice for all scuba divers to learn ASL! Alot easier to communicate underwater, not only scuba signs. There are a very few scuba signs are related to ASL. (FYI: I am a hearing impaired diver.)

wildmtn:
It will be nice for all scuba divers to learn ASL! Alot easier to communicate underwater, not only scuba signs. There are a very few scuba signs are related to ASL. (FYI: I am a hearing impaired diver.)

I'm not hearing impaired....but have known ASL far longer than I've been diving. ASL is great underwater.....I teach basic signs and fingerspelling to all my regular dive buddies.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom