Scuba signing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem now is with the different agencies not standardizing the signs. The basics are pretty universal, but where in my experience it is flawed is showing what your psi is and what depth you would like to do your safety or deco stops at. I've have come across at least 10 different ways to describe psi. It is further complicated when you start using your light for signaling. Now when diving with a regular partner you get to know the different signs. When you introduce and unfamilar third or fourth buddy, that's where mixups occur.

My advice is to go over all the different signs that you and your buddy team will use during your pre dive talk.

Why ASL when theres BSL and even international sign language ? Why limit it to america :)

As for scuba signals a lot of the core ones are similar but not always identical.

I know the PADI taught out of air differs *slightly* from my out of air, the air check signal and others are different. Its really not much of a problem though, ive succesfully conducted dives with buddys where on the surface we dont speak a word of each others language.

After diving together for a couple of years, my dive pals and I developed our own sign language. This would carry over to topside activities, we'd catch ourselves signing to each other instead of speaking.
One night, a girl looked at me and said "Do you want to go swimming? It's nice out and the moon is full"
I said "Sure, just let me go change".

This was all said nonverbally, and we didn't realize it till we got into the water. :D
That's actually one of the things about diving I love best, you become sensitive in different ways to other people. I look very much forward to diving with my new husband for this reason. :)

just use an underwater notepad. That way you dont run the risk of you or your buddy messing up with signals.

Why ASL when theres BSL and even international sign language ?

I wasn't aware there was an international sign language. Does anyone actually use it?

I'd suggest ASL for American divers, BSL for British divers, etc. That way you can also talk to local folks who are deaf.

BTW, did you know ASL is more closely related to French Sign Language than to BSL? Do you know why?

Walter:
I wasn't aware there was an international sign language. Does anyone actually use it?

I'd suggest ASL for American divers, BSL for British divers, etc. That way you can also talk to local folks who are deaf.

BTW, did you know ASL is more closely related to French Sign Language than to BSL? Do you know why?

Because Mr. Thomas Gallaudet met a little girl who was Deaf and started getting interested in deaf education. He brought Mr. Laurent Clerc over from France to start the first official school for the deaf in the US.

Gallaudet University is where I studied ASL :wink:

Oh and as far as I know there is no international sign language....just as with spoken language, each country has it's own. Also like spoken language certain countries sign language's are similar in voacabulary and grammer depending on how the language spread. I seem to rember being taught that here was a sign language used by the deaf community in the US before this.....but it was only used in places with large deaf populations (so they could teach each other)....there was an island off the east coast somewhere....I wan to say it was either up by Cape Cod or down by NC (sorry...can't remember where) where do to genectics a large portion of the population was deaf....everyone on the island learned to sign and the hearing folks spoke English as well. They think that was the last evidence they found of the original American Sign Language.

Also, as with spoken language....there are dialects as well. I first learned to sign in NC....and when I moved up to Gallaudet, I was told that folks could tell I learned to sign in the south. I only took the first intro class in NC and took several more years of class at Gallaudet....I'm now told that I have a Gallaudet accent :)

Ok...that's propbably more than anyone wanted to know :wink:

I'll fade back into the background :)

Peace,
Cathie

JD.Gattis:
just use an underwater notepad. That way you dont run the risk of you or your buddy messing up with signals.

Hmmm...that's kind of like saying, why do you bother talking....you could just carry around a notepad and write everything down.

It's much easier and faster to express something in sign underwater.

If I'm diving with a boat buddy or something, I don't bother
teaching any ASL signs....but for my regular buddies, it's wonderful to be able to sign underwater.

Peace,
Cathie

wildmtn:
It will be nice for all scuba divers to learn ASL! Alot easier to communicate underwater, not only scuba signs. There are a very few scuba signs are related to ASL. (FYI: I am a hearing impaired diver.)

CuriousMe:
Also, as with spoken language....there are dialects as well. I first learned to sign in NC....and when I moved up to Gallaudet, I was told that folks could tell I learned to sign in the south. I only took the first intro class in NC and took several more years of class at Gallaudet....I'm now told that I have a Gallaudet accent :)

I know a very limited vocab. in ASL and it seems like there are different dialects even in the same city. :banghead: Anyway, I would love to be able to convince of my regular dive buddies to learn some ASL with me. Unfortunately no interest.
Also, I realize that I never did post the browser for ASL as I promised earlier in this thread, so here it is:
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Back
Top Bottom