SCUBA--sport or hobby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a hobby because I'm constantly putting money into it to make either myself or my gear better, and also because on every dive I practice something.

It's a sport because it demands dexterity, physical ability and coordination, and it can be stressing at times. Also, I enjoy doing it as much as I enjoyed playing baseball.

Most of all, is some sort of sick obsessive therapy; I'm usually obsessed about going diving (having the ocean a 20 min drive from my house is a big influence on that), and when I get in the water is the best therapy I can think of, and I get "sick" when I can't dive! :D

texdiveguy:
When people ask you what you do in your spare time,,,,,and you reply SCUBA diving...... do you think of it more as a sport or hobby???

It's just something I do. However, the historically acknowledged definition of sport is Ernest Hemingway's -
A true sport must involve risk of death, everything else is just a game. By that criteria, SCUBA is a sport, except in PADI's marketing materials.

miketsp:
Rather amusing the similarity to this thread on whether cycling is a hobby or a sport: :wink:

I look at sport as a competitive physical game with non-subjective scoring. It's one of the reasons why I don't believe things like ice dancing, freestyle sking. synchronized swimming and their ilk should be in the olympics. I can easily see cycling as a sport that can be particpated in at a "hobby" level.

Diving can be a profession, a trade, or a hobby depending on your involvement.

It should be noted that, while scuba diving is not competitive, TALKING about scuba diving definitely is.

LeFlaneur:
It should be noted that, while scuba diving is not competitive, TALKING about scuba diving definitely is.

Yeah :wink: Quarrelling on this board complements SCUBA's lack of competitiveness.

Back
Top Bottom