Question SCUBA, the self-policing industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, the industry is largely self policed despite LA County's and other jurisdictions in the early days. Another way of looking at the situation may be protective regullation or competitve regulation. Scuba is largely a competitive regulation scheme; that is, associations seek to limit entry of participants as a means of limiting competition for those already engaged in the trade. The rest is largely marketing.

Are you saying that you're aware of international laws prohibiting access to SCUBA?
In France there are strict laws. In practice only divers with CMAS-compliant certifications are free to dive alone, without supervision.

There are laws in Florida (and many other states) requiring the use of dive flags while diving be it scuba or free diving. There are also laws, most of them local, regarding when you can shore dive at certain parks such as Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach. Those are laws that, to an extent, regulate elements of scuba diving.
Yes, the Florida state parks for instance heavily regulate scuba diving - whether it’s permitted at all, and (if so) what certifications are required. For instance, many state parks legally require you to have a cavern or cave cert. Solo diving is not permitted, and DPVs are not permitted everywhere (like Peacock).

In addition, our state parks ban open water divers from carrying lights underwater.

So, at least in Florida, on public land, I’d say there are quite a few legal restrictions/regulations on scuba diving, that are coming directly from the state government.

That is shocking to hear from South FL.....unless you know someone, or have a big 'PAINTBALL' sticker on your tank, you'd be hard pressed to get a fill down here. I know "cave country" (Central/Northern FL) is a lil more lenient but nothing crazy. Unless you're dealing with the type of people who don't look at hydro stamps...
8 years and more than a thousand dives in South Florida, gotten fills including trimix at a variety of shops and I've literally never even once been asked to present my card. When I fill boat waivers I don't even put my cert number in, never once have I been questioned. Im honestly kinda curious where you even go to get carded down here.

8 years and more than a thousand dives in South Florida, gotten fills including trimix at a variety of shops and I've literally never even once been asked to present my card. When I fill boat waivers I don't even put my cert number in, never once have I been questioned. Im honestly kinda curious where you even go to get carded down here.
I find that hard to believe.

I am a winter diver in South Florida. I haven't dived with all of the current operators, but I have filled out many a waiver over a couple of decades, and I have pretty much always had to show certification. Now, what is true is that you can get into their system, and they have you on file. Then you don't have to show anything.

Here are two stories from South Florida.
  1. There was a new person behind the counter, and I registered for the dive (as usual) under the frequent diver program, meaning my dive was prepaid. The new person behind the counter asked for my certification card. I didn't have it because I was in the system with a frequent diver card. Finally the manager told her I didn't need to show a card.
  2. As I was registering for a dive to a deeper (about 100 feet) wreck, another diver was told his OW card was not sufficient for that dive. He had to have at least AOW. He said he was actually an assistant instructor, but he only showed an OW card under the (foolishly mistaken) belief that there is some kind of an advantage to hiding your true status. Unfortunately, their Internet was down, so they couldn't check online. He had to agree to dive with a DM to do the dive.

Please tell me where you got a Trimix fill without showing any proof of certification.

I am a dive professional currently sitting behind my desk at an LDS in South FL, I have been diving in this community for over 20 years. Your claim doesn't track.

I too find this hard to believe unless you use the same shop over and over and they know you.

Not sure where you are diving. I see people getting carded every time I dive in South FL. For some charters I (and everyone) get carded every trip.

Now for fills I agree. I've never been carded and have not seen anyone get carded FOR RECREATIONAL fills. I believe carding for tech fills is pretty much universal. Some shops do card for nitrox fills as well.

I'm highly skeptical.

Now in the past, I was pretty well known by most Seattle area shops (I'm not diving as much, and not as involved with the local diving community, and the employees have in general changed), so I got used to not providing c-cards as I was in their systems. But once after diving on Whidbey Island, I stopped at a shop for the first time for a fill.

"Can I see your card?"

"Sure!" (handing over my credit card to pay)

"Uh, I mean a certification card....."

LOL! Fortunately I had one on me.

Now I haven't gone diving in Florida all that much, but every business with whom I was paying for services wanted to see a c-card. That's been my experience up and down the west coast , including BC. Including Europe. It would have to be a very sketchy dive operation in a country without much risk of legal repercussions. Sure there was Gull Dive Center in Montana, but that has to be a very rare exception.

Back
Top Bottom