ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody would approve of this and give you cylinders to support it. You've got to be kidding.
She is 9 years old and a Bubblmaker Grad, do not be so sure.

She is 9 years old and a Bubblmaker Grad, do not be so sure.
Thanks, if her father is a PADI instructor, I guess that could work.

I've never been to Bonaire and have a question to those who have. My wife and daughter are coming down for the trip. My wife will snorkel so long as she feels as if she can stand on the bottom (she knows enough not to stand on coral but its a mental thing) and my daughter (Bubblemaker grad) wants to both dive and snorkel. Since there are a lot of "unsupervised" shore dives do you think I will have any problems renting her a little 40cf tank and taking her out myself? Obviously, she will not go below 2 meters and always be holding my hand for the dives.

I am stoked to be going on my first SB trip. I've tried but failed a couple of other times but finally nailed it on this trip. I know this is going to be amazing and I can't wait to get my family down there with a bunch of degenerate divers.
I am not familiar with the Bubblemaker program. I would hope that whatever shop you are dealing with, you are clear with them about your daughter's status as a Bubblemaker grad. If they're all good with it and you're supervising, I don't see any issue with this. Buddy Dive shop rents 40cu ft tanks. I think the main market for them is as deco cylinders for tech divers, but I'm sure you could get an air fill too.

The only thing I guess I would flag here is that a 2m/6ft depth limit will be fairly restrictive, in terms of what you can see. Much of the shallower staghorn and elkhorn reefs have been damaged or lost due to storm activity and climate issues. So, you might find that there is not a whole lot to see. I've been to Bonaire twice, and found most of the good reefs to start around 15 - 25 feet deep. Klein Bonaire has some pretty shallow reefs though, and a couple weeks ago I found that the rocky area at The Invisibles had some decent life within 6 feet. Maybe @scubadada or others who've been to Bonaire many more times than I can recommend good snorkeling sites / diving sites with a 6 foot hard bottom.

Looking forward to meeting everyone this June! Cheers

Nobody would approve of this and give you cylinders to support it. You've got to be kidding.
No, I'm not kidding.

Just to clarify I am DM certified and have a bit of experience in the field, so to speak. But you don't know me, you don't know how I dive, and you don't know my daughter.

Obviously, I would be up front with the shop. If they are uncomfortable I would never put them at risk or ill-ease.

This is why I asked.

No, I'm not kidding.

Just to clarify I am DM certified and have a bit of experience in the field, so to speak. But you don't know me, you don't know how I dive, and you don't know my daughter.

Obviously, I would be up front with the shop. If they are uncomfortable I would never put them at risk or ill-ease.

This is why I asked.
Sorry, I meant no offense.

PADI Bubblemaker is offered on Bonaire, including with Toucan. I assumed that "under the direct supervision of a PADI Pro" meant an instructor, executing the course. That may or may not be correct. You could discuss this with Toucan before your visit, so that their stance is clear.

It's fantastic diving with family, I have been diving with both my children since they were certified at age 12, 26 and 22 years now.

Let us know how it goes on Bonaire, have a great trip.

I'm not sure if the bubblemaker class counts towards future diving or you have to do a repeat every time she wants to dive. IRL, she's fine and can totally handle herself. When I dive with her at Coney she only dives with a backplate and harness. I want her to learn to enjoy diving for now. When she can go deeper (10 years, first OW cert.), we will focus on the BCD, etc. When she did her bubblemaker they had her in a full rig and she felt task overloaded.

This is probably one of those case of "is she capable vs. what does the insurance company say?" We'll see. We can always snorkel.

This is probably one of those case of "is she capable vs. what does the insurance company say?" We'll see. We can always snorkel.
That sounds exactly right. I hope you find an operator who's willing to work with you. If you do find one, I would encourage you to make a trip report about it, because that info would be very useful for others to have. Sounds like either way, you're all in for a good trip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom