Scubaboard signal-to-noise ratio: Is it just me???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, I tend to follow the threads that have a topic or information that is interesting and informative for me.

I still have a lot to learn and enjoy reading "dive related" threads. The other stuff is sometimes fun but I tend to skip it since it offers me no helpful information.

Most of the equipment and basic diving threads and topics are very good and can offer a wealth of good tips and information for most of us. I also try to offer a comment that might make a difference or can help to clarify a situation for me or others. (not sure this response follows that thinking) but....

I LOVE this board despite its perceived faults.

I see ScubaBoard not just as an incredibly valuable source of information (which it most certainly is) but also as a community. It may not have started out that way, but that's what it has become. A virtual (more or less) community composed of divers, but a community nonetheless. And like in any community, its inevitable that its members will end up socializing about things other than diving on occasion. Things like jokes, flirting, political discussions, you name it. I don't see anything wrong with that. Don't forget that it's these "socializing" threads that help bring members closer together and allow us to learn more about each other, learn more about each other's personalities, likes, dislikes, etc. Granted, these threads are not really diving related per se, but if one pays attention, one will quickly notice that in most all of them (with notable exception of politics, probably) diving remains the central theme. We are all still divers, and this place is where we divers meet. Even if only virtually. And if we chose to talk about something other than diving now and then, I don't see how that makes ScubaBoard any worse of a resource. In fact, I think it makes it better. Diving is still what everything here revolves around, be it purely informational or social in nature. SB still remains an incredible source of dive-related information and experience, but it's also evolved into something more over time.

Those of us who would rather continue to treat this place as a source of dive-related information only, only have to skip by the messages in the non-diving forum. It's really that easy not to click the link. From what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of the threads on this board continue to be questions, answers, and discussions about all things diving...

-Roman.

Just a perspective from an 'outsider' if you will. I, myself don't feel qualified to contribute to most of the diving conversations being a relative newbie so I spend most of my time reading. I could hang out in the Newbie section but feel out of place there as well having finished the rescue course. So, I read and learn, add what I can which isn't much at this point.

I agree with the 'off season' part. I'm out there, ASAP, wet suit and all.:)

through the archives and see all the very active and very vocal members who no longer post at all on Scubaboard. You do start to wonder their reasoning. It could be many things, no longer dive, no longer work in an environment in which they have the same access to the board, no longer have the time etc. etc. or...you could wonder if they somehow began to find it less relavant. It would certainly be interesting to hear from some of the people who no longer post like they used to.

It is also interesting to note the people who have spent almost no time on the diving threads.

I'd be interested in hearing comments from some of those who have been around for a few years.

Brian

I've found fewer threads that interest me as well, but I kind of figured it was maybe a seasonal thing as well.

UP...did I miss an update on the anchor? Tried to keep an eye out, but been busy.

I've found I read a lot, but not so manythat compel me to reply...

maybe that's a good thing!

I'm trusting in the Site Administrators to pick up on a suggestion that when you click "View New Threads" you have already set up a screening criteria that only brings up the threads from categories in which you are truly interested.

In my case, that would boil down to about three or four, and probably decrease the volume from 200+ posts a day to to click through to around 30 posts to review.

Can't wait......PLEASE GUYS......help us! Don't make me long for the "old days" when I could keep up with about 20 minutes a night. I want more folks contributing, but only on the topics in which I'm interested.

Just a little tongue in cheek I guess.

Seriously though, I suspect that we're all suffering from a case of the "Scubaboard isn't supposed to be like real life" syndrome. I can personally attest to the fact that when a bunch of folks from all walks of life get together to go diving, there's usually some flirting going on, along with the usual odd snipets of bad advice. Oh, and I guess politics get discussed at some point along with some topics of absolute nonsense.

I have to admit that although I usually "tune out" the things that don't interest me, I occasionally get drawn into a discussion I'd rather not be a part of.

Maybe the board is just another slice of life. Thankfully, there are enough threads going that generally we can find something of interest, whether we're the teacher or the student.

Beachman once bubbled...
I'm trusting in the Site Administrators to pick up on a suggestion that when you click "View New Threads" you have already set up a screening criteria that only brings up the threads from categories in which you are truly interested.

Thats a great idea. I agree with KKM,sometimes its gets hard finding a post that is anything to do with Scuba.

If I were still a moderator, I would push for closing the Non-diving related and humor forums, at least for the duration of the coming hostilities, maybe permanently.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
If I were still a moderator, I would push for closing the Non-diving related and humor forums, at least for the duration of the coming hostilities, maybe permanently.

Totally agreed. Plenty of other places on the web to engage in non-diving discussion. Not quite sure what purpose it serves here...

Back
Top Bottom