ScubaBoard SURGE Central 2015 Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know if one was to plan correctly you could always take the puddle hopper over to Bonaire after. :D
We will be in Aruba the week before and I am thinking about doing that after the family vacation.

Oh the HORROR of it all..... 2 weeks in Paradise and warm water.
Exactly what was the temp on Dec 5-12 this year in Indiana :shocked2:
Not sure. I was in Aruba the first week of December 2014

We understand, you can't make them all. We'll see you 2 in the Philippines!
Glad to hear it's a great place, but it won't be as fun or shenanigans filled fun-4-all without you,
Janet and I stayed there in 2010 when the hotel was called Breezes. We had a great time. The Asian restaurant was our favorite. The diving was really fun, especially Director's Bay and Porto Marie.

Youll have a great time there. We can't make this one, unfortunately.

Shore diving, like said by James and I confirmed since it had been my favorite dives

Porto-Mari
Directors Bay-combinet with Tug Boat as a drift dive, I believe Ocean Encounters will offer you this trip in thier plans
Vaersenbaai
Superior Producer, the only wreck (small one ) of the Island, at recreational depth that offer small penetration, this one as well probably will be offered by Ocean encounters, but not 100% sure since it is part of a port and I don't know if the port authorities will allow to park the boat there
Alice in Wonderland

Boat Dives, will be Mushroom forest combined with the Blue room
Superior Producer ( maybe )
See if Ocean Encouters can offer you East Point, it is very untouch, 7 species of coral can be seen here that are not in the rest of the caribbean, it is a deep drift dive, it gets a little rough in the boat there
Directors Bay combined with Tug boat

There are two technical dives to see other tug boats two on one site 55m to 60m next to each other, and one on another site 45m to 50m, but it will not be in your plans probably since they are not rec dives.

There are a lot of more sites but these are the most popular, and is probably what they will offer you

Last edited:
Klein Curaçao is a must, its a full day trip but its awesome.
I believe Mermaid is the only one running it.

I have had a couple questions about the shore diving.
We of course have a reef in front of the resort but there is also a official dive site with
Lots of interesting and unusual stuff.

The Car Pile

Just for clarity, I think that's the Varsenbaai Carpile and not the one at Pierbaai near Sunscape. It's also deeper, that wreck at the start was at 80' and the cars were below it - I think around 105'. The wreck is a pontoon boat they dumped the cars off of before scuttling it also.

For anyone interested, the main Ocean Encounters location at Sea Aquarium nearby is where they do the Dolphin dives. Used to be $200pp.

There's a breakwater out in front of Sunscape and other resorts in that area so the better dive is on the ocean side.

Ask Pete since he/Elena were there recently, but you should work out getting anyone who wants to go out to Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland also in Westpunt. Almost an hour drive from Sunscape. Might check with the DiveBus, maybe they could do some special trips with a guaranteed group of divers. IMO it's among the best on Curacao. Go West Diving is on-site there.

It really seems silly to go to one of the top shore dive locations in the Caribbean and only boat dive. Unlike Bonaire it's remarkably easier there - most entries are sandy beaches and almost all of the better known sites have a dive operator on-site.

You can only dive Superior Producer when there's no cruise or other ship inbound or moored as it sits just off the Megapier. Or at night.

OE also does a dive at East Point on the way out to Klein Curacao. They call it a special trip normally but likely will provide that option for the SB Surge since it's based on demand.

Back
Top Bottom