Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
European o-ring and service part and tool provider Scubagaskets has just launched a new stainless steel balanced piston reg with turret.

It comes with a pair of adjustable second stages and an SPG. Price through the end of April is a very reasonable € 399. € 489 starting in May.

There's also an O2 Stage version with a single second stage and green trimmings for € 299. Finally they show an environmentally sealed diaphragm version "coming soon".

These look like fairly standard Taiwanese regs, which suggests good quality and reliability. The big deal is a stainless steel first stage at such a low price.

Edit. Not Taiwan, they are made in Guangdong, China. See @Tanks A Lot post below.

• TPU mouthpiece
So not even a silicone mouth piece? Is that one of those hard plastic ones that are terribly uncomfortable?

• TPU mouthpiece
So not even a silicone mouth piece? Is that one of those hard plastic ones that are terribly uncomfortable?
I think that's a copywriting error. It says silicone everywhere else. For example "Food grade silicone mouthpiece with a reusable mouthpiece clamp" and:

1000008780.png

I just hearead about this last weekend from an MK10 expert -- been told it's an mk10 copy and I am really excited.
Very tempted to get it but I wanna know if it has a blunt or knife edge piston (the SGT2); they only carry mk10+ pistons which is a rounded edge.

I'm not trying to curb the enthusiasm here, but this is by no means a new regulator. Hotdive has been selling this for a while, although I must admit I do not know if they are the OEM.

If the price is an advantage of course will depend on where you actually are.

Edit: Looking closer at it, it seems Hotdive is in fact the OEM.
NARWHAL Technology Co., Ltd was founded in 2015, which is a professional scuba equipment supplier and manufacturer, it is located in Dongguan Guangdong and owns two brands: PUFFER and HOTDIVE.
Room 301, No 62 East Zhen’an Road, Chang’an Town, Dongguan City Guangdong, China

Also the dust cap of the SGT2 clearly shows the Hotdive origin.

Thanks for the info.

Scubagaskets obviously sourced it from somewhere. That it is a PRC company instead of one of the big Taiwan OEMs certainly tempers my enthusiasm. Not that I doubt they can make the products, but it all comes down to their quality control processes. I guess we'll find out eventually.

....but it all comes down to their quality control processes....

That is exactly what making a regulator is all about and spot on. The actual design of a regulator is rather simple these days and a plethora of companies evidently do so. But like one of the ScubaPro engineers once told me - "The design is the simple part, but the manufacturing of parts over and over again to the exact same specifications is incredibly hard."

China has rapidly caught up with a lot of manufacturing, albeit some discrepancies in certain fields still exists. But I always find it very illuminating to see the reaction of people when regulators supposedly come from the west, but are actually manufactured in the east. The moment these regulators have the western brand name on it, they are viewed much more favorably than the exact same model without said branding.

The mapping is as follows

Second stages:
  • The ScubaGaskets NSGT2 is the HotDive T2 O2
  • The ScubaGaskets SGT2 is the HotDive T2
  • The ScubaGaskets SGT3 is the HotDive T3 or T4, I can't distinguish these two models from HotDive
First stages:
  • The ScubaGaskets SGT2 is the HotDive S2
  • The ScubaGaskets SGT3 is the HotDive S3D
  • The ScubaGaskets STG2 is the HotDive ST2O2

For even less $ look at Piranha, they have what looks like a MK 25 clone for $115 and second stages for $99. This SG one being stainless is interesting.

I have seen corrosion on stainless steel. Never on chrome. Why is SS better than chromed brass? This is an honest question, my understanding in this area is very superficial. Thanks.

I have seen corrosion on stainless steel. Never on chrome. Why is SS better than chromed brass? This is an honest question, my understanding in this area is very superficial. Thanks.
Depending on the quality of the stainless it doesn’t usually do more than stain/discolor, chrome can flake or pit once there is a flaw/scratch etc. not something that happens to quickly either way.

Back
Top Bottom