Scubapro 1st Stage Servicing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I finally got all (or most) of my tools to service some used Scubapro regulators I acquired from several auctions.

The 2nd stages were really easy, I do those in my sleep.

The 1st stages are where I have a few more questions:

(1) MK10 Spacer?

I took apart 2x MK10s and cleaned them. I haven't re-assembled them yet, but I noticed one of them had some sort of spacer or washer (not o-ring), that slightly squishy, clearly damaged, and wasn't included in my MK10 service kit. It was also only present in one of the MK10s. What is it? (And where do I get a replacement?)

20210629_140923 - Copy.jpg 20210629_140948 - Copy.jpg 20210629_144215 - Copy.jpg 20210702_005115 - Copy.jpg

(2) MK15 Service Kits (edit: might trade/give away MK15)

I'm having a little trouble finding MK15 service kits. I saw one site which suggests 10-750-045 works on the MK15, but other sites just list that as a MK25 kit. I found it cheaper elsewhere, but am concerned it wouldn't be compatible.

(3) SP Din Conversion (solved)

edit: I figured it out, just had to tug on the plastic piece a little harder, and then the din-knob also comes out. There are no o-rings inside that area.

I may have damaged the o-ring on the din-conversion, the bigger o-ring on the scuba-tank side. It doesn't appear to match any of the standard o-ring sizes I already have. What size is it?

I removed the filter & 2 o-rings. If I soak the remaining parts in a cleaning solution, are there any remaining "squishy" parts that would be damaged? I don't see how to take this apart any further, although it does have a rotating piece, which suggests there may be more internal components.

If all else fails, I could just clean the parts I can reach, and scrub the outsides, but this thing is pretty dirty.

(4) 1st Stage Filters (answered)

I heard someone mention in a video that you could clean the filters in the 1st stage. They didn't mention any instructions for cleaning. Can anyone advise me on this? Would compressed air work? Or washing somehow?

I also got some spare filters inside a MK10 kit. I noticed the filters are a different shape; the originals are cone-shaped, where the replacements are flat. Otherwise, they appear to be the same size. Should the flat replacements likely work?

(5) Diagrams (answered)

Does anyone have a good source for Scubapro diagrams? I could use a MK10, MK15, and MK16 diagram.

I don't see the MK15 there, but it's something.

I did find this comment in another thread, which includes an o-ring size and material guide though:

Attached is a SP document that has SAE equivalent sizes for metric seals. It is a bit dated, as now most SP seals are either EPDM or Viton. For hardness, I try to keep it simple: High pressure differential seals get 85-90 shore A, low pressure differential seals get 70-75.

Yes, metric o-rings are purchased using the same hardness scale as SAE

McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr
& Orings, Inc. OringsUSA are good vendors to purchase seals either in metric or SAE

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/oring-with-us-sizes-2008-01-pdf.642172/

(2) MK15 Service Kits

I'm having a little trouble finding MK15 service kits. I saw one site which suggests 10-750-045 works on the MK15, but other sites just list that as a MK25 kit. I found it cheaper elsewhere, but am concerned it wouldn't be compatible.

As far as I can tell, the Mk15 is unsupported, and no one makes aftermarket kits for them.. I believe this is due to it having a unique seat combined with a smaller number ever having been produced. The only people I've seen mention having kits are also holding on to them for their own stash.

(4) 1st Stage Filters

I heard someone mention in a video that you could clean the filters in the 1st stage. They didn't mention any instructions for cleaning. Can anyone advise me on this? Would compressed air work? Or washing somehow?

If they aren't bad looking, I'll clean them up in an ultrasonic with vinegar solution and then rinse thoroughly. Works like a champ. If they look super crusty, I just toss them.

I also got some spare filters inside a MK10 kit. I noticed the filters are a different shape; the originals are cone-shaped, where the replacements are flat. Otherwise, they appear to be the same size. Should the flat replacements likely work?

Yep, the generic flat disc seats work fine (in both Scubapro and Aqualung regs from my my experience). An argument could be made that the cone shape is capable of passing air faster, but in this application it's a non issue.

(5) Diagrams

Does anyone have a good source for Scubapro diagrams? I could use a MK10, MK15, and MK16 diagram.

I go to Home | Vintage Double Hose and if you look at the very bottom of the page, there is a link to "Manuals & Catalogs". There is a stupidly large amount in there... to include the diagrams you are after.

Respectfully,

James

As far as I can tell, the Mk15 is unsupported, and no one makes aftermarket kits for them.. I believe this is due to it having a unique seat combined with a smaller number ever having been produced. The only people I've seen mention having kits are also holding on to them for their own stash.
That's unfortunate. It's a nice looking regulator. The one I have won't leaks like crazy. I opened it up part of the way, and it does look a little unusual inside, which is probably that unique seat.

I might have little choice but to sell it to one of those people hoarding the kits. That might not be a terrible thing though, I do like the MK10s, and have several of them.
If they aren't bad looking, I'll clean them up in an ultrasonic with vinegar solution and then rinse thoroughly. Works like a champ. If they look super crusty, I just toss them.

Yep, the generic flat disc seats work fine (in both Scubapro and Aqualung regs from my my experience). An argument could be made that the cone shape is capable of passing air faster, but in this application it's a non issue.

For some reason I thought those cleaners were expensive, but it looks like there are a bunch around ~$35 on Amazon. Having one probably would have saved me a LOT of time, not to mention useful for all the sunglasses and other items I find. I'll have to pick one up.

In the mean-time I might as well install the new filters, but clean up the old ones to act as spares.

I go to Home | Vintage Double Hose and if you look at the very bottom of the page, there is a link to "Manuals & Catalogs". There is a stupidly large amount in there... to include the diagrams you are after.
Thanks! Funny enough, it's missing the MK15, but appears to have the rest.

https://personal.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d6d638a5f6075b5a46a

Thanks! Funny enough, it's missing the MK15, but appears to have the rest.

Look in Manuals and Catalongs > Scubapro schematics, Parts, Service > 1st > MK15

Back
Top Bottom