Scubapro Air2 installation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacked_72

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've got an Air2, second gen as I recall, that I am adding to a Seaquest QD Pro BCD. The Air 2 has the standard stainless pin that attaches to the wire going to the dump valve, but the wire is a hair too long. There is a second set of partially drilled holes about 1/4" further down on the Air2. I had presumed that these were so that you had a little leeway in setting up your new BCD but then I notice they were not drilled all the way through the plastic barrel.

Does anyone know if the Air2 is designed for multiple pin placement so that I can drill these partially drilled holes the rest of the way and have the correct length on the wire or whether that is a no no? It is too tempting just to finish the drilling job and attach the pin. Thanks.

I did it with my DUI Delta Back-Inflate. Do whatever works.....

Another option would be to tie a knot on the wire.

Tying a knot in the wire would work provided it does not cause damage to the inside of the corrugated hose or cause it to drag/get stuck inside the hose. Personally, it's not something I would do on a customer reg as one way or the other it will have a negative impact on the "feel" you get when opening the shoulder dump with it - either due to contact with the hose or loosening and tightening of the knot in the cable when you pull the wire.

Ideally, you'd get new stainless cable and ferrels and make up a new cable of the proper length.

Failing that, drilling out the new holes lower down is a better approach than knotting the cable. Just be sure you have the right sized bit, drill the holes properly so they are aligned, and do not enlarge the holes as the pin is intended to be a snug rather than sloppy fit.

I would be concerned that the holes might be too low and could cause a leak if the zip tie was on the wrong side of it. Best bet (if you really want a pull dump) would be to shorten the cable. Personally, I don't like pulling on one of the weakest parts of my BC, so I'd remove the cable and replace the pull dump with a simple elbow.

Other options to think about: Replace the corrugated hose or the entire assembly.

Here is a link to Dive Gear Express' page where you can order parts that you may find useful.
2011 EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

and from NESS:

2011 EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

I am a bit unclear as to why "a hair too long" is a problem. Most corrugated hoses stretch fairly easily. If it is one of those designs that does not stretch very easily, you could just move the end connections (half a hair each) to make the hose effectively longer. No real reason to butt the ends of the corrugated hose right up against the stops on the Air2 or BCD connector.

I am a bit unclear as to why "a hair too long" is a problem. Most corrugated hoses stretch fairly easily. If it is one of those designs that does not stretch very easily, you could just move the end connections (half a hair each) to make the hose effectively longer. No real reason to butt the ends of the corrugated hose right up against the stops on the Air2 or BCD connector.

Going along with this, I can't imagine that 1/4" would make a big difference. Have you tried connecting it as is and seeing if the pull dump works? In fact, I would think a bit too "loose" on the pull dump would be better than a bit too "tight" as you might be pulling on the release valve just when you're breathing off the air2 and turn your head to the right.

Also, Couv has a good point that yanking on the corrugated hose is not the greatest idea to begin with. Typically, if you wanted to vent the BC while in a vertical position, you'd just lift the inflator hose over your head and release air through it. You can't do this with the air2 if you're also breathing off of it. That might mean you don't want to disable the pull dump and replace it with a standard elbow. To me, though, it would just mean "disabling" the whole schmutz and getting a proper alternate 2nd stage on a bungie.:D

See how I accidentally turned this thread into the 20 millionth "Air2: Friend or Foe?" thread? Shame on me.......

Didn't I see you sporting a PADI "AIR 2 Diver" patch? :popcorn:

Or keep the AIR2 and use the shoulder dump instead.

I only have 1 BC with the pull dump where I fitted the AIR2, the wire length is about perfect, but the original holes on the 3rd gen AIR2 are really small, kind of like half a mm, so I had to drill them out anyway. Btw, a 2mm bit works perfectly.

A little late chiming in, but instead of tying a know in the cable, just double loop the end of the cable around the pin. All the benefits of a shorter cable, none of the drawbacks to a knot. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom