Scubapro BCD Part ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MR12111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello and thanks for any help you can give me ... Got the BCD I wanted for my return to diving after 15? years ... Scubapro Classic Black without the internal weight system ..Looks to be in good shape ..came with an air 2 ...from ebay ... BUT ...There is a small leak where the power inflation hose connects to the bc at the shoulder .. I am thinking someone took that hose off for some reason ..the oring? or gasket fell out and they missed it ...anyhow I tried to make a gasket for it and it still leaks a little ...
I was a Scubapro Tech back in the 80's but I cannot remember what seals this ..i am thinking it is an oring but I'm not sure ...I rarely took one of these off ...

Can anyone tell me what the part is or how to find out what it is ?? Please ..I't warming up fast here ..i gotta stop messing around with gear and at least get in the pool ... Thank You for your Help ... Don

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 84
The power inflator hose is the one coming off the reg which then connects to the inflator/AIR2, just a detail I’m nitpicking on. The hose you refer to is the corrugated hose, which connects to the assembly(elbow?) which then connects to the BCD bladder, I believe that’s where you have a leak, this is worth investigating further, if the leak is in the coupling attached to the BCD, this likely means the BCD is shot, which may explain why someone got rid of it (dishonestly). Some may say it is a fixable issue, others consider it condemned, I think it’s best to properly diagnose it first.

It is either an O-Ring (hardware store) or a gasket (Dive Gear Express). Open it and figure it out..

IIRC, with those SP jackets, the "nut" stays on the BC and the elbow has threads... Backwards from most...

You said you were a tech, so I'd imagine you can handle taking it apart....

It has been so long since we used a SP Classic BC in our family, I can't remember what it is ..

Yes your right .. the "nut" does stay with the BC .. I did take it apart when I could hear the leak .. It had no seal in there .. I tried to make a seal using an old tire tube ..still leaks a little ..Dunked the shoulder fitting under water while holding my finger over the inlet hole with the BC inflator tube off ...no leaks ..so I'm sure it's right at that connection ..
Gonna need to google dive gear express .. I'm just getting back into this ..(if my bad back will let me) after 15? years off ...
Thank You for the reply and the Idea .. Don

" Capt. Don " on the MV "Free and Clear " Islamorada Fl Keys ... mid 80's ..

Attachments

• 20230108_175637.jpg
    20230108_175637.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 78
The bladder flange gaskets are significantly thicker than an inner tube....

The bladder flange gaskets are significantly thicker than an inner tube....
Yea ..I know ..I tried 2 then 3 of my "homemade" gaskets .. I guess I will need to go into the local shop and see what happens ... i used to repair Regs. there ..Let's see if they remember me and/or what happens ... I'd sure like to know if it's a Rubber Gasket or an oring ...

The power inflator hose is the one coming off the reg which then connects to the inflator/AIR2, just a detail I’m nitpicking on. The hose you refer to is the corrugated hose, which connects to the assembly(elbow?) which then connects to the BCD bladder, I believe that’s where you have a leak, this is worth investigating further, if the leak is in the coupling attached to the BCD, this likely means the BCD is shot, which may explain why someone got rid of it (dishonestly). Some may say it is a fixable issue, others consider it condemned, I think it’s best to properly diagnose it first.
I took the corrugated hose off ...held my finger over the hole and dunked it under water with air in it ...no leak ... It is in that connection ..there is no seal in there ...thinking someone took the hose off and lost whatever seals it ... I have tried fixing the leak you described on other BC"s and it's nearly impossible .. I saw the gasket you suggested ..Just no way to know what the specs on that are from the picture and if it would fit... I just wish I knew if it was an oring or a gasket ...I think its an oring ...pretty specific one .

Thinking about this and I have measured the sealing surfaces ... I'm thinking that a Tank to Valve oring might be the correct size ...That would be to simple ...Guess I will suck it up and go to my LDS ..Just be ready for the sales pitch ...I was that salesman once ...

Attachments

• 20230517_171000.jpg
    20230517_171000.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230517_170941.jpg
    20230517_170941.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230517_171033.jpg
    20230517_171033.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 71
Trip to the LDS "scubapro dealer" ... I worked there 15? years ago ...The store manager tried some orings but had no clue what it really needed .. No tech in the store ..thinking he wouldn't know either ..This is just to old for most people ... I went to the hardware store ...bought 1/2 dozen different orings and a couple of round flat rubber gaskets ... One of the orings worked ...couldn't tell you which one it was as the part 3's are all messed up ... I still think it really used a very specific rubber washer ..It's holding air ..good enough for now ..

I think this silicone ring is what you need? I just replaced it on my ScubaPro wing elbow. I can get you dimensions if you are looking to buy from a hardware store.

I bought it from Sub-Gravity. Link below.

Edit: here's measurements. I didn't have calipers, so measurements might be slightly off.

OD - 1 3/4
ID - 1 3/8
T - 1/8

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_120842.jpg
    IMG_20230518_120842.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230518_120914.jpg
    IMG_20230518_120914.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 75
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back