Scubapro D420, Mark 19 evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone have recent experience with this kit.? There are several long very technical old posts but what I want to know is whether the company fixed the initial glitches with this reg and how it breaths. Does it require tweaking or are factory settings adequate?

The D420 is likely discontinued by now but the latter versions I tried were well tuned and very nice breathers, Nita fan of the MK19 personally but they should be perfectly functional.

The D420 is not discontinued, I can still buy it on the dealer portal, as well as the consumer facing site. I also have no trouble ordering spare parts for it. A quick glance at dealer site has most of the D420 parts in stock.

It got it's last schematic revision in 2020, but granted that was only a clarified torque value.

In my experience there is huge differences between regulator settings from the factory. Whenever I sold a brand new one it went to the bench first before going to the customer.

The D420 certainly has its quirks but it is great breathing second stage. Then again I'd probably struggle to tell the real world difference in breathing performances of most modern second stages. What is meaningful on paper doesn't always translate to real world differences.

All that being said, D420 parts are expensive, really expensive compared to most of ScubaPros other second stages.

The MK19 EVO got its last revision/introduction in 2019. I wouldn't see any reason why anyone would complain about it.

Since the nice chilly evenings are here(ish) pull up a seat in front of your fire with a nice beverage, read these threads, and watch the linked Reg-Geeks videos. There is a lot of excellent qualitative and quantitative info if you want to do a deep-dive ( :wink: ) on your potential purchase ...

D420:

Mk19:

The MK19 EVO got its last revision/introduction in 2019. I wouldn't see any reason why anyone would complain about it.
The reason some do not like the Mark 19 is that it is huge and heavy and many, if not most, divers travel, well, it is big. The Mark 17 is big enough, then they added a turret atop and it got huge and correspondingly heavy.

As to the D420 being discontinued I cannot say, there are rumors this is the case, at least in North America. The Mark 17 is discontinued here yet apparently it is still in the Europe catalogs?

I love my Mk19s, I paired them with S560s before they were discontinued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom