Scubapro G200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95ripper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am working on putting some gear sets for my kids and am looking at some different regulators. I have a few mixed pieces around and am trying to figure out what is best. I have a couple of sets with G250V, which I like. I also have a G200 that I am looking to use, maybe as a primary, but likely as a secondary. Is it possible to upgrade a G200 to a G200B, and possibly to a G250, and if so, what parts are needed? I have been reading up on self-servicing equipment and feel capable of doing that, but just want to see what is out there, and what I need.

Thank you,

It can be converted to a g200b, but not a g250. The housings are different.

with the cost of the balance chamber increasing a lot, not sure it really makes sense to do the upgrade as much anymore

You got some good advice, but also some slightly incorrect advice. The G200 can easily become a g200b but also could be upgraded to a g250 (no, the later G250v is a different air barrel). The problem is that the air barrel for the g250 is NLA. If you found a damaged G250 it could be a parts donor.

The g200b is a great regulator, on par with the g250, just no adjustment knob. Tuned right, it is an exceptional breather, and would make a nice primary. I would use an adjustable second as an octo because you can tune it nice, and dial it back with the knob to control free flows when just being clipped off.

Even as a g200, they were decent....

g200 -> g200b is a balance chamber, spring, and poppet, seat and o-rings
g200 -> g250 is a balance chamber, spring, poppet, air barrel, adjustment knob and a seat and o-rings.... parts might be difficult.

@buddhasummer might be able to give you an idea of costs of parts. There used to be an upgrade kit (think I have a bunch of them), that we used to use to upgrade the 109 to a 156, but are discontinued IIRC....

Oh wait, I forgot.... you also then need the correct sticker for the purge button..... some people need that.... :rofl3:

BTW, if you do upgrade it, I would be interested the old parts - spring, spring pad, and the duro-poppet....

The g200b is a great regulator, on par with the g250, just no adjustment knob. Tuned right, it is an exceptional breather, and would make a nice primary.

Can confirm, I had a couple G200Bs kicking around a while back as stage regulators. I tuned them nicely and they breathed great. Also had a G200 on a deco bottle as well for a time. Had zero issues with all of them. I ended up buying a few more G250s to swap them out but I still have them as backup regulators in my save a dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom