ScubaPro Go Sport fins in drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE: we both are not happy with the Scubapro Go Fins. We tried them on several occasions and found that they just do not provider the thrust we are used to. We feel as thought we were working harder in the water than we were with our split fins. However, if you want them, drop me a line.

I will offer a contrary opinion for the Go-Sport fin. I have had mine now for about a year and got a pair for my wife and she as well will never let go of them. I have used mine for 30 dives now in Jupiter and another 10 in WPB this year and a similar number last summer. I have had them in the Keys and Bonaire and then in Cozumel know for current and drift diving for another 10 dives as is Jupiter and WPB. I have then about 90 dives in current, some significant and perhaps another 15 or 20 in Bonaire and about 30 more in the Keys (including locations known for current like the Eagle, Spiegel and Vandenberg). My opinion of the Go-Sport is that anything a Jet Fin, Eddy Fin or Quattro can do the Go-Sport can do about as well. I have no difficulty running against the current, no more so than anyone else, or keeping up with a buddy who was quite fit (as am I) who was using free dive type fins. In fact, I want another pair, blue to go with all my blue dive gear, my black ones are so boring. I think this was Cozumel:

I find that I get out of fins what I put into them and the miles in the pool, on the bicycle and the pounding on the track and in the gym make up for a lot of fin deficiencies of which I find none with the Go-Sports.

James

I have a pair Scubapro Go sport for travel where I will be wearing booties, thin socks in warm water I use Aqualung Storm fins when traveling.
Local diving I use RK3 or my trusty Mares, depends if I want to kick like a frog and turn like a helicopter and look like a dick going backwards [RK3] of just don't care solo diving [Mares excite pro].
Just had a thought, I only do the frog thing when other are in the water, old habits die hard [and I am a bloody 'show off'].
Back on topic, the Go sort were also a good price and I have not had them long, but they do the job.

Edit: The Go Sport are good 'frog' fins I found out, nice, drift diving, not a problem also.

I find that I get out of fins what I put into them and the miles in the pool, on the bicycle and the pounding on the track and in the gym make up for a lot of fin deficiencies of which I find none with the Go-Sports.
True. But misses the OP's unstated requirement for fins that work in current without putting in much of an effort.

For anyone who needs splits to keep up with the group, your best chance to keep up with a more compact option are Force Fins (originals, not the stiffer Pros). These provide acceptable thrust with minimal effort while flutter kicking. They are expensive, but are close to indestructible, so maybe try it out with a used pair.

True. But misses the OP's unstated requirement for fins that work in current without putting in much of an effort.

For anyone who needs splits to keep up with the group, your best chance to keep up with a more compact option are Force Fins (originals, not the stiffer Pros). These provide acceptable thrust with minimal effort while flutter kicking. They are expensive, but are close to indestructible, so maybe try it out with a used pair.

The Go-Sport, my experience, is that it is very efficient for the input provided due to the pre bent shape and the snappy tip. Fins do not know if there is current or not. They respond to the power input and a good kicking technique. Some are better than others in terms of efficiency and I would rate the Go-Sport as a particularly efficient fin both for flutter and frog kicking. We will just have to agree to not agree :). I stand by what I said regarding the Go-Sport fins as being a good all around performer, efficient and does all kicks well.

I would rate Force Fins and Force Fin Pros at near bottom of all around performance though they flutter kick well, that is about it. And I have had and used both.

James

I got the Sports for my first fin purchase, having used various rentals before. At first they felt stiffer and less efficient, but I’ve adjusted my technique to use less leg motion and more ankle snap and now I love them. Similar to how to hold a drum stick where it’s all in the wrists, not the arms - sorry, I can’t think of a less obscure analogy off the top of my head. Their light weight helps trim out my heavy feet as well.

The Go-Sport, my experience, is that it is very efficient for the input provided due to the pre bent shape and the snappy tip. Fins do not know if there is current or not. They respond to the power input and a good kicking technique. Some are better than others in terms of efficiency and I would rate the Go-Sport as a particularly efficient fin both for flutter and frog kicking. We will just have to agree to not agree :). I stand by what I said regarding the Go-Sport fins as being a good all around performer, efficient and does all kicks well.

I would rate Force Fins and Force Fin Pros at near bottom of all around performance though they flutter kick well, that is about it. And I have had and used both.

James
I actually agree with you that Go Sports are effective fins. I stated that in my earlier post on this thread. They are what I use when I need booties.

I will disagree with you on Force Fins as being near bottom of all around performance. I have Force Fin Pros and have used them in timed swim tests against a variety of other fins, including Go Sports, ScubaPro Jets, OMS Slipstreams, and Mares Volos, and find them all to have essentially the same peak effort performance. Yes this is flutter kicking, but flutter kicking is a requirement to get top speeds and/or thrust from any fin.

The only fin I have tested that performs substantially better are Mares Superchannel full foots. These are my warm water boat fins, at least for places where I can take a large enough bag to hold them.

Back to the point of this post. Force Fins actually outperform everything except my Superchannels when doing low-effort swims. These are tests where where I do timed swims trying to duplicate the minimal effort I make during a typical tropical dive when I'm trying to conserve gas.

Force Fins do feel different. When I started using them I had the same thought as you that they weren't moving me all that well because I couldn't feel the water being pushing away from the fin. But the clock doesn't lie.

I have done timed swims in gear and with a paddle board also though not using Go-Sports but enough I have a good idea where they sit in that regard and from my real world use diving them. I just do not get satisfaction from Force Fins. When I say they are near the bottom of all around performance that would include stopping, starting, helicopter turns, frog kicks and backing up with a camera and no hand arm assist. Yes, I do agree, using a funny bicycle motion flutter kick the FFP do move along nicely, but everything else that an all around top performing fin needs to do they basically suck at :wink:. I like the way they look but they fold up around my toes when I frog kick or back up and I cannot hold myself still in surge with my camera like I can with Quattros, Eddy Fins, Jets and now Go-Sports.

But yes, I really agree with you but for the FFP. As to current, if a fin is fast for the effort in the pool it will be equally fast for the effort into a current. If I really lay into the Go-Sports or Quattros I can get them to buckle but I have to essentially use an exaggerated kick to accomplish that, otherwise, Quattros are fast, powerful fins for the effort input and were my favorites overall until I tried Go-Sports. The Quattros are retired and the Eddy Fins sit unused but for dives where I know I will be frog kicking with little or no flutter kicking needed.

Well, anyways, fin wars, lol, we are all different and have different needs and expectations and thus find differing results, I can live with that.

James

I will agree that FF are far from the best all around fins. I've figured out how to back kick and frog kick with them, but it's not a natural movement. IMO, the best use is the same as for the better split fins, efficient OW flutter kick.

That said, have you ever watched Jonathan Bird's Blue World TV or YouTube shows? He was using Force Fins for years to push around his massive video and film cameras, including imax cameras. So it definitely can be done. Although in his last few YouTube videos I noticed he's switched to (wait for it)
(The suspense is building)
Go Sports :)

The Go-Sport fins are made in South Africa. Apparently Scubapro bought the product? Kind of like Aqua Lung was offered the Jet Fin and instead they passed on the Jet for their chunky, junky block of rubber Rocket Fin! Bad mistake on par with (the real, former) Schwinn refusing to make mountain bikes. Scubapro grabbed the Jet and the rest is history, the king of fins! I often wondered why Scubapro did not offer a warm water and lightweight version of the Jet? And now they do, it is better than a Jet, it is the Go-Sport. Best foot pocket in the industry (the Eddy has a great foot pocket also). Eddy left and Go-Sport right:

If Quattros are too long for your bag and you are not finding satisfaction with the softer flex of the Go-Sport then try the Deep Six Eddy fin. It is a superb expedition quality fin. It is stiffer over the entire blade than the Go-Sport and frog kicks wonderfully and has a passable flutter kick. It is also a more robustly constructed fin with real spring strap.

On a recent few dives there was a younger fellow in free diver fin with a large camera rig on the boat. He was a sweet guy, fun to talk to and a great diver. But he was a bit competitive (some say I am too, not so much anymore). But we both spied a turtle at the same time and it was a race. Well, we both won because he and I had spied out different turtles! But, if he was going any faster through the water than me it was not by much.

I have a dive compadre and last trip to Cozumel we had a race, just for fun, I think he has Quattros, he won! Or I just would say I let him win :wink: .Ha!

James

Back
Top Bottom