Scubapro Hydros Pro Trim Pockets Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Blackheart12A
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am brand new to SB so I hope I’m posting in the correct place. While on a trip to Cozumel this past week I noticed that the fabric around the female portion of my trim portion clips seems to be fraying which I assume will lead to failure sooner rather than later. The boat I was on a few days ago (6 pack) also had a married couple who both had the Hydros Pro (HP) with similar damage. I purchased my HP in August 2023 and have approximately 80 dives on it, the couple I referred to only have 20 each on theirs. I am extremely diligent about my gear maintenance after each trip (e.g. two dives then return to base before afternoon/evening dives) and find it very concerning that 6/6 trim pockets on the same boat are in similar condition with such low miles. I called Scubapro and they told me I should be using soft weights and that if I chose to have them repair the HP shipping would be my responsibility. I thought this was an outrageous response to an obviously common problem on a new purchase. I am new to the diving community and have approximately 90 dives total. Has anyone else had these issues and any advice on how to proceed? I’m considering just getting it repaired and selling and buying a BP/W setup. I appreciate any advice, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 81
My roughly 100 dive hydros looks pretty much like yours. I'll have to keep an eye on it now, but to me it just looks like the cut from the female attachment piece. I don't think mine has the small fraying yours shows. I dont put much weight back there and only use about half of my dives.

Thanks for replying, that’s from three diff BCDS on the same boat during a chance meeting. I think you’re right, maybe they cut the holes too big when stitching in the female clip portion. I have never used more than 2lbs up there, usually more like 1lbs. Regardless, I didn’t see a warning label from SB telling me to use soft weights and the other two people on the boat said they’ve almost never used them (in their total 20 dives on them!). It seems to be a common known problem to SB and their response was appalling in my opinion. I’m going to contact Amex to see if I can get my my money back.

I never have more than 3lb in each trim pocket, I have 2 Hydros pro , S with a M harness [my travel one] and a M with a M harness.
One has [had the small hole where yours is, I put a 'blob' of neoprene glue it it, check the back of the female clip, are they solid? mine are, and not about to move.
Blob of 'goo', not a problem, problem solved.
I dive a lot with these BCs.
These;
IMG_20240122_130955.jpg

IMG_20240122_135959.jpg

Been diving my Hydros Pro for 3 years now. No issues. However I don’t use the rear trim pockets. With only 12 pounds don’t need them.

Attachments

• P2230653.jpeg
    P2230653.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
However I don’t use the rear trim pockets. With only 12 pounds don’t need them.
I always have some weight in rear trim pockets, of the 12 lb you use I would have 6lb in the trim pockets , my trim feels just right .
Also depends if I am using my own steel cylinder or a rental aluminium [which is most resorts here except Heron island, all steel there] what goes in the trim pockets, and what suit I am in, 3mm or 5mm a given, stating the bleeding obvious.

Whatever works for you.

Mine looks the same after 60 dives, it looks like the cutout pulls in that area to expose the cut edge, mine isn’t frayed or torn so will let it go and see how it does in the future. I use 2 or 3 lbs soft weights which doesn’t seem to be the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom