Scubapro Mk 20 Ultra Light G500 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro

Reaction score
Anyone use these regs as I'm thinking of getting them as a backup set also for use in the pool as I don't want to use my new set. Maybe I'll use them for the ocasional dive too.
Thanks

My Mk20 blew in half recently. I'm now not so keen on swivel first stages. They do breathe well though. I have a Mk20 D400, and despite having done a fair few hundred dives, it is still a great reg.
However, if your first set are Apeks as shown in your avatar, I would say it would be a fair step down. Why not get an Apeks DS4 / TX40 as a second set? They are certainly cheap enough.

If the G500 you are considering is the older US made version (black opurge cover) they are super sweet breathing regs, better the later production grey purge covered Italian made G500's (which can be easily upgraded to S600 standard) and actually even better than the current S600.

The Mk 20 UL is lightweight and very nice for travel, but it requires a bit more care as the lluminum used in it's construction is more prone to dissimilar metals corrosion and technician abuse. The torque values are lower in a couple key areas - the yoke nut/DIN fitting and the swivel retaining nut. Over torquing can lead to cracking in these areas.

In all respects though the Mk 20 G500 performance is excellent and I have encountered few divers who have used both Apex and SP regs who did not feel that a higher performance SP reg like the MK 20 or Mk 25 with a properly adjusted D400, G250, G500 or S600 second stage breathed better than an Apex.

The UL design is fairly notorious for cracking. While ScubaPro has redesigned the first stage to lessen the chances of breakage, it would still trouble me to own one. If you are that interested in weight savings, then perhaps you should consider a titanium first stage. Personally, I don't see that either is actually a superior product to that of plated marine brass. Other than airline weight restrictions, there is not a compelling reason for me to move away from brass.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

If light weight is a concern and you are buying a new reg, the Mk 25 STA is an option. It is as light as the titianium Mk 25 T but more compatible with high percentage nitrox mixes and is beefed up with stainless steel in the critical areas that were prone to cracking or damage on the the Mk 25 UL and you get it all for about $100 more than a standard brass Mk 25.

But I agree, brass is hard to beat for durability, longevity, affordability and high O2 compatibility so if you don't need to sweat weight restrictions while traveling you really do not need a lightweight first stage.

Ok thanks for your responses. I have a set of apeks and scubapro regs already this was just a cheap option to use in the pool for teaching and maybe as a backup set just incase. So based on this any one care to add to what has been said. It seems that they are fairly decent maybe I could just swap over the first stage for my spare mk18 I have. Any more comments would be apreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom