Scubapro S-Tek Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same harness and wing - it's had pretty much everything thrown at it up to and including 2x15l steel tanks with 10l stage.

It does the job!

I've not heard of this hanging weights off d rings before - don't think I would go down that line. Also they must have changed the waist belt because mine does not have any integrated pockets - even if it did I would still use a belt when needed.

Jonathan

P.S I also have a BP/Wings - I use what I feel appropriate for the dive....:boom:

Here's the rig:

Single 80 AL tank

RecTek Bladder

Integrated weight pouches - Added on to the waist strap, Each side holds a single 3 lb weight (can hold any single weight).

D Clips mentioned - they are not at my side, they are on each side where the "backplate" and bladder meet. Came with from factory.

My weight - 190 lbs Medium build, kinda lean

Water - Dutch Springs, PA - Fresh water

Exposure Protection - 7mm Wetsuit (full), 5mm shorty, 7mm Hood, 7mm gloves.

I tried this combination this weekend and it worked great.

Thanks for the feedback.
David

I own and use ScubaPro S Tek with Travel Bladder and dive mostly in tropical waters. Whenever I dive, I always place all weights attached to the belt (5 of them) concentrated on my back. This will help me on the surface that it reduces a push on my face.

I will try to put some weights on my tank or on my tank band, like leadweight suggested. I think that will be a good place to put some weights for back bouyancy BC.

Opinions are many. Personally I find the X-Tek to be the best non-plate BCD I've ever used. It gives me a snug fit and won't shift while I'm working. I have the versaitility of different bladders (I own the Trav-, Rec- and Sport-tek) and even bought a second one recently as a backup. I will also be buying one (SS) or two (SS,Al) of the backplates Scubapro made for them.

Doc

Would you guys say that these two BC's are quite similar.
I like the scuba pro Air 2 system so I might need to use the Xtek, does anyone know if the Air 2 would fit the Transpac 2.

Which would you choose?

ScubaPro X Tek or Dive Rite Transpac 2

Jazz

drbill:
Opinions are many. Personally I find the X-Tek to be the best non-plate BCD I've ever used. It gives me a snug fit and won't shift while I'm working. I have the versaitility of different bladders (I own the Trav-, Rec- and Sport-tek) and even bought a second one recently as a backup. I will also be buying one (SS) or two (SS,Al) of the backplates Scubapro made for them.

Doc

drbill...As mentioned, I own an S-tek, with Trav-tek and Rec-tek wings. I also own a Scubapro SS backplate; however, this does not fit onto the S-tek harness, as far as I can tell--and I have tried to imagine how this might work, but I cannot, at least not in any efficient way. I suppose you could use sex bolts to fasten a backplate to the S-tek, but then you'd need an STA--but the problem is that the harness straps would not be threaded at all through the backplate, so the setup would not appear to be very stable. I don't think Scubapro had a backplate in mind for the S-tek, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Did Scubapro make an aluminum backplate? As far as I know they did not.

(Tried to PM but your box is apparently full.)

Jazz:
Would you guys say that these two BC's are quite similar.
I like the scuba pro Air 2 system so I might need to use the Xtek, does anyone know if the Air 2 would fit the Transpac 2.

Which would you choose?

ScubaPro X Tek or Dive Rite Transpac 2
It's not hard to mount an AIR 2 to a TransPac; I've done it. And yes, the two rigs are quite similar. I've been told that the X-tek is little more than a direct ripoff of the original TransPac. Personally I much prefer the fit of the X-tek to that of the TransPac 2, but after cannibalizing my X-tek to configure a TransPac 2, I'm too lazy to switch back. The TransPac's still pretty dang nice, with oodles of accessory options. I despise the TransWeight system, however.

ElectricZombie:
I have an S-Tek/X-Tek that sits in the closet unused because it is such a POS. I would get rid of it if possible.

You solution sounds way to complicated. Clipping weights everywhere is not such a great idea.

A good SS BP/Wings setup would help get some of the weight down while being durable and streamlined.

Personally, I like the X-Tek better than my BP/W. I wear my weights on my belt as I have for 45 years, but am thinking of getting weight pockets so I can carry ditchable and "non-ditchable" weights.

What size do you have? What wing is on it (if any)?

OOPS, my short-term memory didn't recall I'd already posted here. Inbox is empty and available now.

Archman, my understanding is that ScubaPro bought the company (Soniform?) that made the wings and harnesses for Dive Rite Transpac and started marketing their own version (the X-Tek, later evolved into the S-Tek, both now discontinued).

Mahjong- I saw two ScubaPro backplates at a LDS that were reported to work with the wings for the X- or S-Teks. I think they were both SS, not aluminium. When I went back to buy one, they had been sold.

I have a S-tek with pockets and holds lead like 8#lb in each, You can throw a bar of lead on each of the tank straps, and some lead on a tank, and should be fine,
I like my unit its not junk,got over 70 some dives on it and it will last a few more years!
And I found a place That had after market all types of Air wings like the square wing like 25# lift for $100.00 like dive rite, Just had to make a bit of a mod for one strap and I use to travel & most of my dives.
Hey good luck.Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom