Scubapro T-Black BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Purchased the T-Black back in February and thrilled with every aspect of it - truly great piece of kit.

But - the first thing the owner of the school I dive with did was remove the quick release tank strap - he acknowledged that it is a great system for swapping tanks (which is most certainly is) but said he has seen the clasp catch on the line and open during safety stops leading to problems, especially if the line is busy (all our diving is from boats).

Naturally I can't comment as I have only dived with the original quick release system twice and use a more standard system ever since.

Anyone else experienced a problem with the quick release?

I use this same type of cam band and have had the dive flag line catch on it once. I have bent the end of the buckle down so it is in contact with the band so there in no more entanglement hazard.

A quick release is this sort of thing - 2" Quick Release Buckle. Are you referring to the standard Scubapro stainless cam strap buckle as a quick release? What did you replace it with?

All Scubapros I have ever seen have a stainless cam buckle which is incredibly secure. Have never had a problem, though the idea above to close that gap couldn't hurt. The shape of it could on rare occasion allow a line to get caught, but it takes a lot of force to open one of these suckers when properly adjusted. Much more than the more common plastic cam buckles, I've seen some of those open with nothing caught on them.

If you have replaced the single stainless cam strap on the BC with a single plastic cam strap, I'm not sure that's a good idea. My husband has a BC that came with a single plastic cam buckle, he replaced it with a spare Scubapro strap to make it much more secure.

Thanks Aqua-Andy, much appreciated and think I'll revert as it is a much quicker system.

Damselfish - the quick release is the steel super clinch

Yeah, the SP is the very best system there is. Out of my 20+ years of diving, I never have any single problem with it.

I recently bought a used SP Classic that was freshly serviced by a shop where some intellectually challenged person replaced both the Super Cinch and inflator, 2 of the best features of the SP BCD's. What a loss!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom