SD 550 and WP-DC80 - need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazlot

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am somewhat new to diving (5 OW dives) and only 1 OW and 1 pool dive with my camera set up - SD 550 and the WP-DC80. I have a few questions, and I'd also gladly take advice on how to set up the camera for maxmium results. Currently, I just keep the camera on the "underwater" mode and shoot from there. Here are my questions:

1) I am looking for a solid hard shell storage case to transport the case between dives. I was looking at the otterbox 3500, but it is just a shade too small and I do not like how the unit fits in there. Between my gear bag going into my trunk to drive to my local quarry for dives, or going on a plane/boat for my future vacation dive in December, I want to find a way to provide protection for the WP-DC80. How do you people store/protect the unit while in transit?

2) It seems like Canon used to provide a tool to remove the O-Ring. Well, I got my WP-DC80 new, but it never came with a tool to remove the ring. After 2 dives, I'd like to remove the O-Ring, grease it, check for dings/damages, etc. I tried the "push the ring to a corner to lift" and the O-Ring does not budgen and I do not want to damage the unit. I read and viewed the online tutorials at Canon's site but they were not much of a help either.

3) IF I can figure out how to safely get the O-Ring off, should I store it in a plastic bag inside the case? I've heard people store the O-Ring off the case, on the case, etc...

If anyone has any answers, or advice for a newbie, please feel free to share!!

Thanks in advance.

use a guitar pick to get up under the o-ring and take it out. i don't have a reccomendation on a case as i keep mine in my backpack and have it in my hands at all time. i never check it on a plane. phan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom