SD Shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm heading to San Diego this weekend and staying in Hotel Circle. I wanted to see what people would recommend for shore diving there - both locations to dive and places to get equipment (just a few things). I'd love to dive in some kelp, not too deep (maybe less than 70-80 feet), would prefer good vis (if possible).

Any thoughts?

La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove are your best bet. Read about them on the Shore diving. com website to get the details. Watch the conditions and try to dive mornings. The cove is really hard to get parking and the hike up and down the stairs can be a bit hard.
you will need a 7 ml suit. Don't know about rentals, we had our own gear. There is a guy that does air fills but not rentals right by the Shores.
The Marissa Charter does awesome boat dives if you decide to go that way.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal than Power Scuba - group scuba outings, dive buddies, help with local diving and killer local boat charters

If you drive up to the Cove/Shores (I would), OEX is between both of them for rentals. La Jolla Diving - OEX, The La Jolla Scuba Diving Experts
There's also a Sport Chalet in University Town Center - about a mile further east. Sport Chalet - San Diego - La Jolla, CA-Store Locations-About Us - Sport Chalet

For Kelp you want the Cove - although it's a long swim out. Here's how to find it: http://divebums.com/dive-sites/La-Jolla-Cove.html#Cove

The draw at the Shores is the canyon just offshore - we saw bigger pelagics cruising thru there. It drops way beyond rec limits so watch your depth.

If there's no parking at the Cove, follow the street back up the hill and double back left into "downtown". There's a paid parking garage on the left with a walkway next to it, take the stairs down and you'll be at the Cove. Weekends expect difficulty finding parking at either location - LaJolla is also a popular tourist area.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom