SDI OW class - dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was the same - finished my course and bought all my gear within a couple of weeks:yeahbaby:

I'm planning on assembling all my gear over the winter to be ready to go next spring. If I do any dives before the end of the season here (underwater punkin carving at the local quarry) or take a tropical vacation, I'll rent.

I'm planning on assembling all my gear over the winter to be ready to go next spring. If I do any dives before the end of the season here (underwater punkin carving at the local quarry) or take a tropical vacation, I'll rent.
Sometimes the best idea - I have realised that a couple of my gear choices were possibly made in haste and that with a bit more experience I might have chosen differently.

Basic tables are pretty easy (PADI's anyway). Maybe you can google your way to find out how to do this. I'm surprised there isn't any instruction in your online materials, as it's not a lot of material to explain. PADI shops/instructors vary in approach to teaching tables and/or computers. But every computer is a little different, so you must read their manuals. Nitrox tables a fair bit more complicated.

I dove the tables for 25 years, bought a computer and was sold after my first dive. Accuracy is far superior and allows better down time and less error. As for the cost, I thought the equipment was expensive, just wait till the bug really bites and you start taking dive trips! Been most everywhere in the Carribean so now its off to Raja Ampat or Wakatobi, you will quickly see equipment cost was cheap. But the incredible sights and life you will see and experience, the comrades you will meet, the life experiences you will get to explore make it all seem.cheap. When I am old, sitting in my rocker I will not be talking about my cars or my house but about each and every trip I took- what I saw and who I was with. I plan to leave this existence sliding sideways, hair on fire laughIng my butt off, screaming and grinning from ear to ear. If my plans work out the last check I write in the life will bounce! But that's just me....my nick name is wildBill for a reason :) Bill

As it so happens, I've gotten most of my gear, already. I needed the basics for OW class, and then I bought my own reg set. I got a BP/W Friday evening and dove it in the pool on Saturday for our 2nd pool day. My custom drysuit from USIA is on order, and a good thing, too, since the rental Fusion just didn't fit me well and restricted my arm range of movement. DRIS has told me USIA told them I'll have it in time for my OW dives Sept. 17th & 18th.

So really, the only things I need are dry suit accessories (undies, boots, gloves, hood), and assorted small bits (lights and things of that sort). I wasn't intending on getting my gear this quickly, but I fell in love with diving at the Discover class I took about three weeks ago, and there's the issue of the rental gear being either too big or too small. I feel much better with my own gear that fits ME!:D

I'm doing the SDI OW class, with the online learning option. I've done all 16 chapters and will review some before I take the final over the weekend. My 3 hour classroom review session is Monday evening.

The dive tables are there in the online portion to print out, but there was nothing in the online learning portion about actually using them. Is this because just about everyone uses computers these days? I expect the tables to be discussed in the classroom session, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

I got my OW through SDI about 5 months ago. They didn't really say anything about the tables other then they were in the book. But to make sure you're computer was on and to rely on it. Even in the nitrox class it was the same message. The tables are not hard to figure out once you finish the class and have read and studied the material.

That being said I personal believe it is important to understand the tables and know how to read them, but in the same since its 2016 and dive computers are reliable and safe to use. Just make sure you understand the limits to rec diving and stay within the limits of what you know, what you were taught and what you are comfortable with.

After all that just remembered to have fun and to stay within the limits your dive computer and skill set tells you. Diving is all about having a good time and most importantly making it to your next dive and home to your family and friends.

I got my dive computer yesterday (Oceanic Geo 2.0) and I'm in the midst of getting familiar with it before my OW dives.

I got my dive computer yesterday (Oceanic Geo 2.0) and I'm in the midst of getting familiar with it before my OW dives.

Good the sooner you become familiar with it the better. Most now a days don't come with the guide with it, but instead are available online. Either way read it and get use to how to use it and if you plan on using it for nitrox pay extra attention on how to change the oxygen level for the EAN setting. That will definitely help you out in the long run.

It came with a laminated quick start guide card, but the print is tiny, so I found the manual online.

Back
Top Bottom