SE Asia early September - mixed ability group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hats

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I've had a trawl of the forum for the answer to this question but struggling to choose a location from all the brilliant and detailed information on here. I'd really appreciate some advise on where to dive in South East Asia.

I'm part of a group of friends going to Sarawak, SE Asia for our medical elective in August and September. We are 2 divers (1 novice PADI OW, 1 more experienced PADI AOW) and 2 non-divers (looking to do their PADI OW out there, possibly 2 other non-divers coming who would like to snorkel).

We'd like to get in 3-4 days of diving at the start of September, looking to do rescue diver, AOW, and OW courses whilst there. The OW qualified member the group would like to stay on to dive for another 3-4 days.

We were thinking of Mabul/Sipadan area, but the UK government advises against all but essential travel at the moment which means we'd rather find somewhere else to go, also our travel insurance won't cover us for going to an area against the government's advise. Which is very disappointing so we're now on the hunt for somewhere else.

We've got quite a wish list; we're looking for somewhere accessible from Kuching/KK or KL on a budget flight (or 2), somewhere with a decent instructors to give confidence to the new divers, and to give all of us good training. The diving the divers are after isn't anything too specific, it just needs to be spectactular! Beyond wanting good vis and breath taking marine life, ideally including turtles and the more variety the better. Maybe some more challenging dives for the more experienced diver.
Above the water we're not too fussed about a party scene, and would prefer a tranquil beach with a friendly dive community up for a couple of drinks in the evening. Budget accommodation (just needs to be clean, dorms would be fine, we're not planning on being in there much apart from to sleep), so probably land based dives.

Wherever we go needs to be safe for a lone traveller, the guy staying on, (we know safety on the streets of London is probably worse than many of the places in SE Asia but it needs to feel safe with a friendly community of divers around). He'd be happy to jump on a boat to another place for the extra days or stay on.

People on here have mentioned a lot of places including but not limited to; Komodo, Lembongan, Tulamben, Tubbataha, Raja Ampat, Similan, Derawan, Mergui and the Gilis to name a few and too be honest we're in need of some advise both on where to go and if there are any recommendations for a lodge and drive company/school that's be great. We're all renting equipment.

Please help us! (and thank you in advance :)

For September diving you can definitely take the Similans, Mergui and Tubbataha off your list, it's out of season and there will be very few if any options for those destinations. Tulamben would be my recommendation or Malapascua in the Philippines. Both can be reached by budget airlines from KL/KK. I have dived at both places and really couldn't say one was better than the other but for convenience and to fit all of the criteria you've listed I would go for Tulamben.

There are dive operators in Kuching and Miri.

I would say the Philippines. The Phils. have a very good and developed dive industry. As mentioned Malapasqua would be a good choise, dive operators are; Sea-Explorer, Thresher Shark Divers, SeaQuest, amongst others. They all either have or can help you with accommodations transportations etc. An other option is Dauin / Dumaguete there are a lot of good dive sites suitable for all levels, dive operators you have: Atlantis, Sea-Explorer, Mikes Dive and Beach Resort, Pura Vida Beach Dive Resort, amongst others. Again all either have or can help you with accommodations transportation etc.

Consider Bali. There's something in the area for everybody. More experienced divers will enjoy the manta ray that are predictably present at Nusa Penida as well as the possibility of seeing ocean sunfish/mola mola. You can stay at Nusa Lembongan for this. My favorite Bali dive destination is Tulamben. Easy enough for new divers and lots to intereste more experienced divers. Snorkelers can even enjoy the wreck of the USAT Liberty since she sits in such shallow water with the top of the wreck at just 5 meters. Or there are the Gilis--more of party central there, but lovely beaches and lots of dive schools, plus turtles galore.

My first thought, since you'll already be in Malaysia, was to recommend the east cost of peninsular Malaysia--Tioman, Perhentians, Redang. But honestly I can't call these dive destinations "spectacular." I would say, however, that they are "pleasant," and in fact MUCH more pleasant diving than Kuching or Miri would offer.

Ok. I am Traveling to Kuching for 7 days and then 7 days at Lovina Beach, then 4 days to Kuala Lumpur. Objective...Dive...dive...dive... A few temples, meditation, and dive photography. I have been emailing to Aquabase as well as ANYONE to get names of dive operators, drivers to/from Damai Puri Resort at Kucng, and even live aboard who can do, say, two nights on a live aboard to do Sipidan...or any worthwhile dive areas for photography. But I am getting NO REPLIES TO MY EMAILS!!! I leave LAX tomorrow. Any quick suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am coming from North Carolina and want to see the Malaysian dive world!!! Already did Fiji, beta Lagoon and Nusa Penida Camdidasa Bali. THANKS!!!

Hi Professorshours,

I've been away with really limited internet access, apologies. I guess you've been and gone on your trip already? I can't offer any advice on the Kuching/Sarawak region as I didn't dive there.
It might be worth posting a new thread specificity for the area if you've got any tips to share :)
I hope you managed to get a good trip in anyway?

Back
Top Bottom