sea and sea DX1200hd vs. DX 1g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to underwater photography I'm looking for a good underwater camera but not willing to spend 3000 for a camera and housing. These were my two choices. please help me decide.

if you are willing to take good photographs go for the DX 1G, it has enough megapixels, raw shooting capability and overall far better performance. DX1200 HD is a modest camera with HD video capability at a fairly cheap price. which is to be selected due to HD video capability, since it does not perform well as a photo camera. Note that both cameras will need an external strobe for good performance.

Cheers,

Hi ravish-
The DX-1G is now at 850.00 msrp, which is a fair amount of money but a very good price for the camera specifications and performance aka a very good value. If you are new to photography or even a veteran, the DX-1G is a camera that you can have for quite a longtime. As justadd mentioned, the 1G gives you RAW, 10MP high quality sensor, manual modes, macro to 1cm and a great zoom range. Check it out at your local retailer or online.

I just got a couple of DX1200 and I am eager to test this model in the water soon.

In the meantime I was surprised to compare low light performance on land to the DX1G which I normally use for my underwater photos.

While the DX1G is a great camera with fantastic ergonomic to set what you want (especially for underwater)... the noise above ISO 100 becomes unbearable.

Nice surprise on the DX1200: even at ISO 400 the results are much much better than DX1g at ISO 200. Better details and much less noise (although type of noise on DX1G is more tolerable). I have a feeling ISO 400 is probably pushing it a bit but will have to try a bit more on the field...(underwater).

So it seems that the smaller sensor on the DX1200 performs very well. Clearly a cheaper made camera than the DX1G and no manual controls (except basic ISO settings, white balance, EV setting). Focussing seems also not as quick as DX1G...

I hope to report some good results underwater...
Andrea

UPDATE on the 1200? I just returned from the LB Scuba show. I went to the three larger shops selling U/W camera to ask advise on buying a new rig. Got it down to the CANON 10G, S&S 1200 HD and the S&S DX-2. EVERYONE picked the CANON and EVeryone slammed the 1200HD as being 'junk' Does CANON really make that much better of a rig and is the 1200HD really junk????

I did try the camera a few times and with respect to the DX1G I have found:

POSITIVE:
-much less noise from the sensor!! it allows me to take nice shots without painful noise software afterward. I did not push the camera to higher iso settings than 100 asa but even at this sensitivity it is MUCH better the Ricoh/DX1G combo. I tried most pics with SS 110a strobe.
-more compact than DX1g but not by much and actually underwater it may feel more uncomfortable holding it for a long time (so maybe a neutral one here)
- of course price is much lower
- with the wide angle it focuses almost next to the lens
- very nice colors especially under program mode in macro and in SS mode for wide angle photo- Good auto white balance and easy custom settings!
- seems to allow you to enlarge a bit the more the pics on prints than DX1g
- reasonable set of lenses available and options from sea and sea

NEGATIVE:
- definetely need a strobo. It is basically useless without one because flash is miserable and obstructed by the case
- in automatic ISO it could go a bit higher than 100 but it never does so. This is a bit of the same BIG problem with this camera that allows very little control over shutter, aperture modes, but it could go to 400 with reasonable good pics almost better than 100 for the DX1G
- unlike the DX1G whihc gives a better macro capability, this one cannot focus that close without wide angle and ... with wide angle you get closer cannot use for it real large magnification so (well it is cheaper)
- in SS mode there is an opportunity to change some white balance parameters for red and blue but it is not explained or mentioned anywhere. It may allow you to skew reds or blus depending on the depth but not sure...
- less time to play underwater (battery is less than dx1g but it will work for a full dive at least)

I do not have a G10. If the wide angle option lenses or macro lenses were available at a reasonable cost it surely seems it would be a better choice than DX1g/Dx2g or DX1200 (but you must take into account prices). Anyway the ext. strobe will allow you to take really nice photos with all 3 cameras.

Dx1200 is good entry point but for more serious stuff you need much more control over shutters, apertures and ISO...

Hope this helps a bit...

My brother took his dx1200 and I took my DX-1G on a recent trip. Some differences I noticed:

My battery lasted a lot longer then his did and I took more pictures. This alone provided for quite a bit of annoyance for him since he was having a hard time making the battery last for two dives.

The video capabilities of the DX1200 were a lot nicer then the DX-1G.

My RAW editing made for some nicer pictures.

Above water both were just fine. Mine was able to do more with the fire dancers as I could control the shutter speed. Though IIRC he had a "fireworks mode" that worked well also.

The DX1200 doesn't have a caddy for the WA lens. This almost resulted in him losing his lens as it came off while getting on the boat (luckily I was below him waiting to get back on and saw it fall). After that he put the lanyard on but then it was floating in the way a few times.

We both enjoyed our cameras.

The comparison shouldn't be made between a G10 and a DX-1200HD, it would be better to comparison for a DX-2G and a Canon G10 - specifications and features are very similar. Do some research and checkout dpreview.com for the Ricoh GX200 review and that will give you some insight.

i will indeed. I dont trust just one opinion but several. It bothered me that I had three similar opinions at one show. I will do my own research! Thanks

well ... after having taught a few digital underwater classes last year, I must report that the DX1200 did not meet the expectations. Its worst score goes to focusing skills, and ergonomics, and MACRO. Best score goes to the movie section which, by last year standard was very nice.

ON the other hand the Dx1g and Dx2g offer amazing ergonomics, fast focus, great macro capability and the camera (the Ricoh GX100) after 2 years is still my favourite compact for topside shooting!! After 2 years there are not much better choices in the market which is amazing given the improvements in camera technology.

There are many more choices (fuji, Canon now have some external lenses capabilities not available last year) so I think the days of the sea and sea DX combo are going to be over at the end of this year.

I just decided to move into the Olympus M4/3 for my personal sake and I will still plan a few more photo courses with the DX1200 for the 2010 summer season. Thanks to the wide angle lens I had bought it still is usable for course work.

It seems people and manufacturers sometimes go after specs but underwater the ergonomics factor is just too important. That alone made the DX1G a winner for 2 years...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom