Sea Otter on dive float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…
(ii) has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to, migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering...

Hmm, I’m not sure I remember seeing an otter on the surface that that wasn’t preening (a behavioral pattern) or eating. It “might” be arguable if sitting on a float is sheltering or not.

How about a cherry buoy with a suspended bag for lead weights? I don’t recall seeing an otter on one of those — come to think of it, it would be fun to watch them try. Cute little buggers.

What if you surface near your float looking away? Or just get under it and blow bubbles? In neither case would it be clear cut this was will harassment to casual observers. Anybody could accidentally get near one. You are required to have a working float and are at risk to run out of gas and be stranded without one at risk from boaters. Seems unlikely to result in prosecution under those circumstances. You can accommodate the otter to a point, but eventually must gain possession of your float.

Text of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) :: NOAA Fisheries

(ii) has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to, migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering.

(ii) any act that disturbs or is likely to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of natural behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to, migration, surfacing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering, to a point where such behavioral patterns are abandoned or significantly altered.

If he takes up living on the float, you are in violation for changing their behavior.
Put a cone on it to prevent it from looking so good next time. He**, if it was bigger I'd be up on it taking a nap.

Bob

... You are required to have a working float and are at risk to run out of gas and be stranded without one at risk from boaters...

Required by who? There are no requirements like that on the West Coast I am aware of, unless some training agency has one for classes.

It is less of an issue here than the East Coast. Most diving is in kelp beds so boats steer clear. Kelp grows on most any rock and can have several times its underwater length floating on the surface.

I can't imagine anybody mean enough to dump that poor little thing back in the cold ocean!

Required by who? There are no requirements like that on the West Coast I am aware of, unless some training agency has one for classes.

Thanks, good to know! One could argue perhaps required for safety!

Richard.

Take a look at this float it's what we have used for about four years now and the otters seam to stay off it check out www.thediversplatform.com. I've had them pop two in one day they can be annoying and there not as cute when you keep replacing gear they ruin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 183
I'm sure he was teaching a class so he needs the float.

Sincere question: Why?

Perhaps for using it as a descent point for new students and making sure everybody sticks together underwater?

Back
Top Bottom