Sea & Sea MX-10 w/ YS-40A strobe - GOOD or BAD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually film still works fine, film and development is readily available at almost any drug store or WalMart, and film gear is available at steep discounts now that the world has gone digital. However, you'll need to do a little study and learn how to use the camera before you jump into the water.

In early 2006 I purchased a very nice used a MotorMarine IIex, two macro lenses, two wide angle lenses, and a YS-50 strobe all contained in a pelican case for less than $500. This is pretty much a pro setup from the film era that would probably have cost several thousand dollars if purchased new. I read a lot and learned to use the gear...then I took it to Cozumel in November and shot about 5 rolls (180 exposures) over 3 days. I had the film processed, printed and scanned to CD's so I ended up with the best of both worlds (snapshots, negatives, and digital files). I was very impressed, around 130 keepers, with probably 100 very good shots, and maybe 30 excellent shots straight from the camera. With a little digital post-processing I ended up with several dozen images that were suitable for large prints, and the digital files made a great PowerPoint slideshow.

Don't write-off film, it takes more effort than digital, but it still works and the gear is cheap these days.

Attachments

• 0009.jpg
    0009.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom