Sea Sickness while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome.

In general it is polite to read the whole thread before posting, especially if it is only two or three pages long.

thanks for the tip.

since i have no specific knowledge of the actual drugs used, just experience of what others found as a better form of taking the drug i thought I might offer my observations and first hand reports where people felt drastically better taking the slow release version rather than the terrible feeling of peaking and crashing when they took the tablet version of the drug.

additionally i did skip through the thread, but (as i mentioned above) I don't have specific knowledge of the drug names, therefore didn't know if the use of slow release band-aids were specific to types of drugs, or just a variety of ingestion to all the major brands.

I've been instructing for over 20 years and am seeing a trend in all natural drug free remedies, like Ginger. Sailors Secret has been the one I have recommend for years, but now that it seems like no one can get it, I have started recommending Potion For Motion because of how much positive feed back I've heard from people who used it.

Scopolamine used to be sold OTC in the US in pill form. Still is available in the UK and former colonies in that form, about $5 for 10-12 pills under brand names like "Kwell" in a blister card. It IS serious medication though, and anyone taking it should read the warnings and if there's any doubt, ask a doctor.

One thing you should never do with a scop patch is to cut it in half. The cut edge is now an uncontrolled leakage, so there's no way to really tell what your dosage is. The advice from the makers, and the doctors, is to put a piece of scotch tape, bandaid, etc. UNDER half of the patch, so that only half of it contacts your skin, and that neatly cuts the absorption rate in half--reliably.

For some of us, it makes the eyes way too sensitive to light, and your mouth feels like it is full of cotton, but it sure as hell beats being seasick.

There's another totally different product that works very well, called a Relief Band. Not just a hard spot on a wrist band, but about $100 (disposable or battery replaceable) for something that looks like a cheap plastic wrist watch. FDA approved for relief during pregnancy, actually works. When placed and kept over the right spot on your wrist, it produces an electric tingle to the nerves. Set on "high" it can feel like a rat chewing on your wrist, but again, that beats being seasick. Set on "lowest" it is barely noticeable. And of course, you can simply take it off anytime you want to stop using it. Since I found that, I've rarely needed scop.

Back
Top Bottom