sea sickness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the best thing for me was a patch that is prescription only. it is Transderm Scop. Most insurance companies don't cover it. It can last up to 4 days. I put it on when i go to bed the night before the dive. I don't experience any side effects. i don't like take pills. I thought maybe i was over getting seasick so I didn't use the patch the last time i was on the boat and got sick. I think what pushed me to being really sick was when the dumbass on the boat decided to smoke, i smelled it and it was all over. I don't think they should allow smoking on dive boats, especially since there are people who are allergic to smoke or it can cause people to become sick and now they have paid the money to be on the boat and now can't dive because the smoke make them sick. I know I off topic so I'll stop now. try the patch

I found the best thing for me was a patch that is prescription only. it is Transderm Scop. Most insurance companies don't cover it. It can last up to 4 days. I put it on when i go to bed the night before the dive. I don't experience any side effects. i don't like take pills. I thought maybe i was over getting seasick so I didn't use the patch the last time i was on the boat and got sick. I think what pushed me to being really sick was when the dumbass on the boat decided to smoke, i smelled it and it was all over. I don't think they should allow smoking on dive boats, especially since there are people who are allergic to smoke or it can cause people to become sick and now they have paid the money to be on the boat and now can't dive because the smoke make them sick. I know I off topic so I'll stop now. try the patch
Wean-off of it as best you can . . .there are a few divers I know of who are building up a tolerance for the scop patch --i.e. needing more and more, or using it in conjunction with other meds (probably against medical advice!) to get the same ameliorating effect. . .

I've been on boats where people use the patch for the entire liveaboard trip. They work well, but when you finally stop using it, your vision may remain blurry (which is temporary side effect to the drug) until your body re-adjusts.

Oh my, y'all are scaring me with all this seasick talk. :( I'm in the planning stages of getting certified and it would probably ruin my dive if someone was puking off the boat or in the water near me. I've been on lots and lots of boats and ships and have luckily never experienced any kind of nausea. But, I am a sympathy puker so if someone around me is upchucking, I'm going to feel like joining in.

I had no idea so many scuba divers were prone to this. I'd think you guys would have some seasoned sea legs on you, but I guess no one is immune.

Seriously, how many times have you been on a dive boat when this happened to you or someone around you. I may have to reconsider this sport if I'm going to be surrounded by hurling divers. :shakehead:

Hi Di:

I can see how you may have a concern, but don't. We have all talked about our horror stories here, not the thousands of times boats leave the docks without any sea sick divers, crew or captain. Please do not let our 'worst of the worst' comments stop you from getting certified in SCUBA. It's great, and you meet great people with the same or similar interests.

Typically, if someone is ill, they are very quiet about the process and most people would never know. If it were to happen, we all know to be downwind of our fellow divers. They don't want anyone else to feel ill, or let people see that they are ill.

Sounds like you have already got your sea legs from your post. That's great. There is no reason that you shouldn't get to your local dive shop and sign up for your OW certification. You will be extremely happy that you did. Good luck and have fun.

i am officially scared! i'm in the process of planning a shark cage trip to guadalupe and i'm nervous as to how bad my seasickness will affect me. reading all these posts is making me nauseous and nervous! its wont stop me, but i dont look forward to the ride!

i am officially scared! i'm in the process of planning a shark cage trip to guadalupe and i'm nervous as to how bad my seasickness will affect me. reading all these posts is making me nauseous and nervous! its wont stop me, but i dont look forward to the ride!

I wouldn't get freaked out about the ride. You will be so excited to go on the cage dive. You most likely won't even be bothered about thinking about your small potential of sea sickness. As I mentioned on the earlier posts, I personally don't take meds, since I may be sensitive to them. But that doesn't mean that 99% of the diving public will feel anything with them. Why don't you talk to your primary doctor, and get their take on it. Talk to your instructor too. If your doctor does prescribe something, or suggests something over the counter, try them before you leave for your trip. If you feel fine, perfect. Don't bag your trip. If I could afford it, I'd be on the boat too. Relax, and have a great time.

You've never met my wife. She'd give you a run for your money, seasickness-wise.

Whether something works for a particular individual, and what kind of side effects there are, depends very much on the individual. So when someone claims a certain medication doesn't have any side effects, that means for them or the people they've talked with.

Like, scopolamine worked moderately-well for my wife about 20 years ago -- certainly better than dramamine -- but the side effects were unacceptable... Something about seeing devil-horns growing out of the head of one of my work buddies... :D

She's going to try Triptone next...

Triptone = Dramamine by another name.

first dive boat trip, about an hour each way, no history of getting carsick but I wasn't going to take the chance, took Meclizine the night before/morning of and even though there were whitecaps on the way in, I was OK.

Livaboard in the gulf, didnt take them before boarding, slept in bunk crossways in bow, looking down in morning for shoes- BAM! Oooooo thats bad! .. took some right away and by the time of the first dive I was starting to feel better .. took one med each day and no further problems, even though seas came up later in trip that had it rolling about 35*

I take something before each trip out.

Try something first and see if it doesnt have any side affects for you, then try it before a trip and see if it works

For the new divers reading this thread, please don't let it scare you. I didn't think I got seasick, I never had, until I started diving in NC. Our boat rides are long (2 hours), the conditions quite variable (we might go out in 4-6 foot seas or big swells), and it gets a lot of people. So I always take bonine here. Last dive even that didn't work.

But that doesn't mean I always have to take something. I just got back from a week in Little Cayman and didn't take it once. The rides were short and the seas relatively calm, or bumpy just for short periods of time.

So once seasick is not always seasick, I suspect you will find that your propensity towards it changes with the conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom