Question Sea urchin die off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately Statia (Sint Eustatius) is suffering from this very issue in the worst possible way. Many sites are covered with algae to the point that corals are totally encased in algae. It’s like diving over an algae encrusted landscape.

Oftentimes visibility is affected very badly too. At some locations it’s almost impossible to even see clearly in the water. The floating algae obscures your vision and clings to your mask. I saw only two spiny urchins in one week.

I hope that this is not the future of diving in the Caribbean. SCTLD is bad-this is worse. It affects ALL flora/fauna underwater.

Unfortunately Statia (Sint Eustatius) is suffering from this very issue in the worst possible way. Many sites are covered with algae to the point that corals are totally encased in algae. It’s like diving over an algae encrusted landscape.

Oftentimes visibility is affected very badly too. At some locations it’s almost impossible to even see clearly in the water. The floating algae obscures your vision and clings to your mask. I saw only two spiny urchins in one week.

I hope that this is not the future of diving in the Caribbean. SCTLD is bad-this is worse. It affects ALL flora/fauna underwater.
Really sad to hear that
I really enjoyed the diving there.
Shallow sites and low to no current might be part of the reason for the algae growth

Here is a video from about 12 years ago for comparison of vis

We have the opposite problem in California. Due to sea star wasting away, the sea urchins are uncontrolled.

In some areas, the urchins eat all the kelp, leaving nothing but a moonscape of gray rock, covered with starving sea urchins.

FYI: I am almost certain I have been seeing more sea urchins lately than a year ago. The die-off was definitely real and quite massive (sea urchin skeletons everywhere last year ), but I believe there may be at least the beginning of a rebound (fingers crossed 🤞).

Back
Top Bottom