Seac Icaro Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Hipkiss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Excuse the ramble below I hope it explains my wants/needs:

I've seen a few threads previously about the Icaro but nothing overly conclusive. Life for my BC consists mainly of diving in UK quarries/reservoirs with a dry suit but particularly (sub)tropic diving, mostly the Red Sea. I see it unlikely that I'll often dive with a twinset (prolly get a rebreather if I ever get into that sort of diving in a big way).

I "like" the idea of a wing but until now the lack of a right shoulder dump valve has put me off. The Icaro has such a valve - thus is up for consideration.

Now life gets difficult. I don't have a local Seac dealer to borrow one for the weekend so any purchase would be a gamble.

Another issue that concerns me is that I have a SMBCi which I like to stow neatly and prefer integrated weights over a weight belt.

The Icaro Tech seems to offer most things apart from perhaps good heads-up buoyancy at the surface (??).

Has any tried the Icaro and got any strong views? Perhaps going with a jacket BC (e.g. the Seac Pro 3000 or 2000) would be the better idea (does an SMBCi fit in the pockets?)

I guess the one thing that concerns me with a bp/w is looking like a christmas tree with bits hanging off D rings all over the place.

Any thoughts please ...

TIA

PS. Anybody bought from http://www.poseidon-online.com ... sadly the UK distributor of Seac seems to want 1 GBP = 1 EUR and these guys in Spain offer some good prices ... it seems!

I don't know what BP/Wing you've looked at but most the BP/Wings people dive around here as well as my 2 BP/Wing set ups have 5 D-rings, of them, 2 are on the crotch strap. That leaves only 2 D-rings on the shoulder (One on each shoulder) and 1 on the Left waist side. This is much less than most recreational jackets have. What you hang on them and how it will dangle, will depend solely on you.
Don't get too much influenced by people who tell you that it is too technical but don't be pushed by the people who tell you that's the best thing since invention of the wheel.
Try it if you can and decide for yourself. I know, I like them.
Unfortunately, no experience with the Seac Icaro Tech :wink:

Andy Hipkiss:
Another issue that concerns me is that I have a SMBCi which I like to stow neatly and prefer integrated weights over a weight belt.

The Icaro Tech seems to offer most things apart from perhaps good heads-up buoyancy at the surface (??).

Seac Sub offers a range of pockets to go with the Icaro, includinh weight pockets.

I tried the jacket in the pool, as did a lot of my instructors/divemasters: everybody likes it so far. Not used it for any serious diving yet, and I don't think I will, because I like my SS backplate too much for the caves. I would in fact need weights with the alu backplate of the Icaro, bad for balance!

mart :god:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom