Seahorse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might be able to find seahorses to photograph in San Diego? I've read that they live in grassy areas. I'd prefer to do a shore dive, thanks for the help!

I think there is one site in the SD area where there is something but I doubt you'll be able to get anybody to tell you where. It is pretty hush hush.

I asked someone at the Birch Aquarium a while ago, and I got told that the most reliable places to find them where in spots I wouldn't want to/couldn't dive. And even there they were pretty elusive.

I don't remember the specifics, but it was something like 'under the Coronado bridge' or 'close to the naval base' or 'in the middle of a boat channel'.

I'm interested if you hear more encouraging answers.

If you're not really specific about seahorses, there used to be pipefishes at La Jolla Shores, in the few grassy area in between marine room and Vallecitos point. I haven't checked recently.

Seahorse locations should never be discussed on public forums. Unfortunately, there are too many people who would try to scoop them up. The aquarium trade will pay good money for these fish. Don't underestimate the lengths people will go to, to get rare fish.

Like Phil said, I do have an article on the Seahorse in this month's California Diving News, but I haven't seen a copy yet, is the March issue out yet?

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom