SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this camera compatible with Inon accessories? Do they make an adapter?

No, Inon does not provide an adapter.

SeaLife would have to provide their snap on accesory adapter with either a bayonet adapter for Inon AD (or 28AD) or a 67 MM threaded port to accept Inon threaded lenses (Type I or II depending upon optical considerations). Because the DC800 already has a so called "built in" 28 MM wide angle lens they would most likely require the Inon 28AD bayonet lenses for proper optical performance. The FOV with the Inon lenses, especially the fisheye wide angle lenses would be significantly greater than the native DC800 FOV.

The DC800 has an underwater max FOV of less than 45 degrees.

The Inon 100/105/10028AD have an underwater FOV of over 100 degrees.

The Inon 165AD FE has an underwater FOV of 165 degrees.

The Inon 100 I&II/10028AD with dome port have an underwater FOV of around 140 degrees.

Copied from the SeaLife spec page:

"Shooting angle: Horizontal field of view / No zoom:
Land: 64.3°
Underwater: 43° "

Inon supports Canon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon but not SeaLife or Fantasea, to bad that is. N

Last edited:
Denise, welcome back. If you answered this and I missed it, I apologize. But, should the DC800 case be stored with the o-ring in place or removed?
And what about flying? with the rapid decrease in pressure, is it better to store the case closed o-ring in place or some other option?

Denise, welcome back. If you answered this and I missed it, I apologize. But, should the DC800 case be stored with the o-ring in place or removed?
And what about flying? with the rapid decrease in pressure, is it better to store the case closed o-ring in place or some other option?

It really doesn't matter, but if I had to choose, I'd say leave the o-ring in and do not latch the housing closed.

Same option for flying. Leaving it open is fine.

Well; you all conviced me to upgrade my DC 600 to A DC 800. It's on the way. YeeeHa. :D

I've really been getting some good pics with the DC 600, but the better battery life and better shutter response of the DC 800 should help.
And I know that its the photographer and not the camera that creates the great shots, but the camera shouldn't get in the way of the good shot either.

In any case, I'll let you all know how it goes. I dive pretty much every week, so as soon as it gets here I'll be getting it wet in these lovely, clear, south Florida waters.

John D

This has been one of the longest and most infoirmative threads I have seen in a long time. I just received my DC800 Maxx yesterday. I have never owned an UW camera before but have used my buddy's very old Sealife (don't know the model). Batteries have been charging all day so tonight I'll be experimenting on land. I have 2 weeks to get the UW features down pat. Can't wait to see how the pics turn out. From what I have seen and heard from you guys, I won't be disappointed.

in a few hours I'll be in the air on my way to Aruba and FINALLY using my DC800 underwater. I am as excited as a kid around christmas!
So see you all in a week with pictures!

Last night I played around with the camera and, at first, was pretty disappointed with the results. Then I read the manual (I'm a guy, what can I say). OMG, what a difference. Strobes make a world of difference and sooooo simple to use. And once I set the focus to the infinity setting, shutter speed was virtually instantaneous.

Have a local quarry trip planned on Aug 27 and will be taking the camera for a little practice. Probably won't see too much, but practice always helps.

One question....the strobe "arms" seem to be a little too flexible. I did not see a way to tighten them up. Is there a way and if so, how....or will the water pressure do the job for me?

Well, my first impressions....I see there is more to learn than I thought. Need to learn more about the settings.....I have not had the opportunity to scuba yet with it, only free dive. Free dive is considerably more difficult but here is how it went.
I found the shutter much slower than expected, but will mess with settings to see if this will improve. Even when I used program, it was really slow. But, as I said, I will definitely try many other settings before I make a judgement. The fist time I used it in the pool, it did not seem to be that slow, so maybe I had a wierd setting on it without knowing. Also, the CAL Pac coast is really a dark water even in shallow water and my internal flash did not fire at all. But, again, I need to practice with the settings. In the living room, all was fine, but when you are out in the water, bobbing around with sealions, sharks and rays swimming about, it's a bit challenging to float there making mode adjustments:).
Most pics I took seem to be really late and/or not so clear. Missed out on that sealion swimming right under me:(

video mode. I found better than expected. got some decent video of some leopard sharks and bat rays even though the water was quite merky at times. one frustration though...cannot zoom in or out while recording. That kind of sucked. Also found when shooting in the distance, it seem to really pixelate the image. this didn't make much sense. Some video was very clear, and some very pixelated beyond recognition on the same setting. I'll have to experiment more to figure out why this happened.
Overall impression. I'm still excited about the camera. I need to do more experimentation, but I think in the long run, I'll be happy with it. I did not experiment with the strobe yet underwater since I was just doing free diving in shallow waters. But, I will be checking it out in some carib water in a couple weeks, and give a full report then.
The land pics I took seem to have a more normal shutter speed. The quality of the pics does not rival my Nikon or Canon SLR digital cameras, however, that is not why I bought it. And with a little help from Photoshop, I hope to get some really good pics in the future with it.
Anyway, I don't know if this was really helpful to anyone, but it's just my first impression in open water.....

Oh, battery life....I did not have any problem with that. listening to everyone else, I thought I would not get through a day of free diving with it. But, I had battery life left over. I was actually trying to kill the battery and I didn't. So, battery life was good. But, again, I never went below 25 feet, and then only stayed down for less than a minute at a time. but, I did leave the camera on most of the dive, and while floating on surface.....

Last edited:
I got my dc800 after missing one cozumel trip without it and finally got it for another one.
I liked the underwater setting so the flash didnt come on and it saved alot on battery time. I never had to change with 3 dives in one day. My other camera you had to change after each dive with the flash always going off. My battery charger did not work I found out when I went to recharge my new battery....so I got another one and the wire was missing out of the package so I have to deal with that again. The dealer will help me with that. I noticed the Land pictures are not as good as my cannon was. They seem blurry or out of focus most of the time. I tried lots of setting indoors and they dont take great pics for me. I got a few but not easy like the cannon was. SO if the Seal life guy has a suggestion please let me know. I am use to the point and shot and if I just do this on landscape or potrait I got some out of focus pictures. Outdoor pics were better than indoor. I also noticed that close ups were blurry unless on micro...more so than the cannon I had. My cannon got flooded. I need to figure out how close up I can be to stay in focus still. The screen is 2.7 insted of the 3.0 I had but still great. This is helpful underwater for sure. I had a customer that bought the point and shoot sea life and I can sure tell the difference in quality of pictures. I would not go that route if diving very much.
Biggest advantage is the oring that does not need to be greased. That part I do love.
Darcy
Affordabletrips.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom