Seals - I am feeling guilty...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're lucky to get the oppertunity to dive with them. I look forward to when I get to go to Ecuador and dive with the seals and penguins.

Seal dives are great!!!

I did one this year and it was fantastic (Australian Fur Seals). It's amazing how fast they are :)

I hope I can do some more soon.

I invited some of the aquarists at the New England Aquarium to come along. They thought it would be a lot of fun and may join us so my impression is that we are not doing anything harmful to the seals.

I'm looking forward to it also. Shellbird, I wish we were on the same trip but the morning filled up so fast that I decided to put myself on the afternoon trip. Oh well. Hopefully we'll dive together soon!

were like being around a bunch of 2-yr old Labrador retrievers...high-energy, spunky, athletic hell raisers...they seemed to like the 'monkey see, monkey do' game...did some flips, barrel rolls, whatever...they then performed the same basic move at light speed and with perfect grace and form...

You can then reflect on what an ungainly clod you are in the water...LOL

While playing with some of the juveniles and females, a large bull came down to see who was messing with his harem..he'd come up behind a diver's head and bark LOUDLY...scared the crap out me the first time it happened. They are fairly large imposing creatures and I took the gesture as a warning to move on...and did.

I had the opportunity to dive and snorkel with them in Galapagos... What a bunch of graceful and playful clowns :)
If the big male is pissed off, trust me, you will know it.
But mostly, they are extremely playful and curious.

You can see some of the pics on my trip report here
http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1824

Have fun!!

Thanks for sharing that experience and those pics are awesome!

PK once bubbled...
I invited some of the aquarists at the New England Aquarium to come along. They thought it would be a lot of fun and may join us so my impression is that we are not doing anything harmful to the seals.

Can you find out exactly what genus we can expect to see - the seals I mean, not the aquarists - tee hee...

Will any of your NEA friends be on the morning trip? I would love to have their expertise along.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
sea lion encounters ... around Santa Barbara island

Another reason for me to visit THAT side of the country (sigh)...
Great pics, kelpmermaid!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom