SeaQuest BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaBoOm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm a new diver and just about to purchase my first BCD, regulator and dive computer. I wanted to get your thoughts on the SeaQuest line of BCDs, specifically the Pro QD and the Black Diamond. I had a look at these at my LDS and really liked them especially the Pro QD. Is there any issues with the brand or these in particular?

I'm also looking at the Apeks ATX40/ATX40 Octopus and the Aeris ATMOS 2 Computer console. If you have any thoughts on those, I'd love to hear them, but I will post my questions in the appropriate forums.

Thanks!

KaBoOm

I have a pro QD that I use for training and I like it. It's a stable good quality BCD and it will take a fairly large tank without having to wrestle with it. The newer Pro QD has better weight pockets than the old ones. The main thing I don't like about this BCD is pocket access. Access to the pockets with any kind of thick suit on is so useless that I wonder why they even bothered.....Needless to say you will end up not using the pockets.

I've never been diving in a black diamond but In my mind the black diamond is way overdone for singles and way off target for doubles. If you're thinking about the black diamond because of future plans for doubles then I would suggest looking into a bp/wing instead.

R..

Seaquest is a standard... most of the rental BCDs I've seen have been seaquest, and my first one was as well. If you progress into more advanced diving, you might find you outgrow it, but it really should be fine for almost any recreational diving needs. I consider SeaQuest stuff to be reliable and adequate. Nothing special, but not particularly prone to problems, except that I always had trouble getting into the pockets.

I dive a different model Apeks reg myself (DS4 1st stage/ATX50 2nd) and have been extremely happy with them. So much so that I own several and have used them for dives as deep as 145' in 38 degree water without any trouble. I think the ATX40 is essentially the same 2nd stage, but without the diver adjustable cracking pressure control. I recommend it without hesitation, and expect you'll never outgrow it.

I find consoles to be bad for streamlining, and wrist mount all my gauges except for a small pressure gauge. That's a matter of personal preference though. I don't have any experience with the Aeris ATMOS 2.

i have a black diamond, i bought it when i started out, it looked to be the best bc for me, however, nowi want to start diving doubles and i'm looking to get a bp/wings, however, the black diamond has served me faultlessly, it has a lot of lift, lots of drings (dir shudder) and nice deep pockets, although they are a bit difficult to use. It's tough as hell, mine gets pretty well looked after and it still looks like new. IF all you are going to want to do is rec diving then it's tough to beat a seaquest..

I have used both the Blackdiamond and Pro QD and Qd + over the past 3 years, I liked every thing about them but had a little trouble with them being to short for me causing my diaphram to be constricted but I still managed for years. Just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, you can piece together diff sizes to fit anyone( mine is large body with x-large shoulder straps) works great. Have used Aqualung reg untill yesterday, tried out my Atomic Aquatics B2, its great. I give rave reviews for the Aeris computers, I use the Atmos Elite.

I have the QD+, and it's pretty nice. The pockets are quite hard to get into, and are very bulky for what little they hold. Also, it's heavy as can be out of water.

skeet:
I have used both the Blackdiamond and Pro QD and Qd + over the past 3 years, I liked every thing about them but had a little trouble with them being to short for me causing my diaphram to be constricted but I still managed for years. Just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, you can piece together diff sizes to fit anyone( mine is large body with x-large shoulder straps) works great. Have used Aqualung reg untill yesterday, tried out my Atomic Aquatics B2, its great. I give rave reviews for the Aeris computers, I use the Atmos Elite.

Thanks for the replys. I really do like the Pro QD and they have one at my LDS in my size.

What kind of cost am I looking at for a Pro QD in the LDS? I'm in Ontario, Canada, but even US pricing gives me an idea if I'm getting a decent price. Are there options for purchasing online or is that a bad idea for me?

Thanks again!

KaBoOM

teknitroxdiver:
Well, what size do you wear? :D

XL.... For now.... New Years Resolutions and all!!

You can't really see it, but I'm wearing the QD+ in my profile pic, you can see it's not HUGELY bulky, but those pockets are a little fat especially with weights in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom