Seasickness!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was said before is pretty much correct...everyone reacts differently to the various methods for preventing motion sickness. On my first liveaboard trip, I did the research and decided on the scopamine patch. I applied it as directed, well in advance of boarding the boat. Imagine my chagrin later that night when I realized that the patch did NOTHING for me. I tossed my cookies repeatedly until well after midnight. At that time I removed the patch and started a regimen of Dramamine. I was eating a light breakfast by 6:00 AM and made the 7:00 AM dive. I kept up the Dramamine for the next day and then found I could taper it off for the remaining two days, using only one dose a day when I felt the onset of queasiness.
Surely, one method or the other will work for you. Just be prepared to use whatever is necessary to keep things in check. Have a great trip!

I have to agree, that not everything works for everybody! I never had a problem with motion sickness, until I had a brain tumor (I'm fine - not cancer) 5 years ago. It was pushing against the area of balance and coordination. The tumor was removed, everything was fine, but now I get motion sickness in a car, plane, boat, etc, shoot, I even can seasick snorkeling!

I have tried Dramamine, but unfortunately, it knocks me out!!!! I took it in Miami airport on a flight back to Bonaire via San Juan a couple of years ago. I really don't remember much about the flight from MIA to SJU, but I remember falling asleep in SJU and almost missing the return flight to Bonaire.

Bonine, or meclizine works great for me. I take it an hour before a dive (2 chewable tabs) and it works like a charm.

I think you will have to find what is best for you. Try the "over the counter" meds first, easiest and cheapest way. If those don't work, go to your MD, explaint he situation and what you've already tried. I'm sure together you will find a solution.

Liz

Take the pills.

Coming from someone that spends 150-200 days at sea a year I am always amazed at how many people get sick. I have honestly never been sea sick and have been in 30-35ft seas. I do however work with people that do get sick and about half of them like the patch and the other half like scopace.

I'm like you. I get sea sickness BAD. I tried everything from Dramamine both versions, bonine, ginger pills, gingerale, pretty much everything I could. I had to get a prescriptions from my doctor for the transderm scop patch. They are awesome. The last time I went out the seas were 4-5 feet and I was good. The only side effects I had was dry mouth. Especially if you sleep with it on. One patch last for 72 hours. Goodluck

Back
Top Bottom